Skip to main content

My 2017 New Year's Resolution: Cultivating Systems over Goals

2016 was a fantastic year for me. I started my blogs, entered the next phase in my career as a business architect, and welcomed a beautiful baby girl into my life. I look forward to 2017, and like most people, I am setting my own version of a New Year's resolution.

As my regular readers know, my recent focus has been on the works of Scott Adams, and we've covered Trump's hypnotic techniques and the power of affirmations in former posts. Finishing out this trifecta of posts, I want to cover one final piece that correlates well to my 2017 New Year's resolution: cultivating systems over goals.

What this means is that I'm going to focus on things that make me better overall that don't necessarily have a measurable end. This is a little different from what I've done in the past. I've set goals like losing 100 pounds, getting my Master's degree, and getting certifications like my PMP. Don't get me wrong, these are noble goals for anybody, but they all end. For me, they've always ended with this same question of, "Well... now what?"

Scott Adams is a big advocate for systems over goals, even going as far to say that dumb people set goals and smart people create systems. I'm not sure I fully agree with that, but given that I've hit a wall on goals with measurable ends, I want to spend 2017 creating various systems. Specifically, I want to focus on the stuff below.

Maintaining a healthy diet. I lost 100 pounds and admittedly didn't do so in the most healthy way. I ramped up the exercise and starved myself pretty frequently. (Heck, I even passed out right in my desk chair at work one day this year.) My honest problem is that I have struggled recently to maintain my diet and have sought to counteract this by working out a lot. My knee has taken quite the beating from this, so I really need to get my diet in check to keep my weight down and keeping my body healthy.

Continue to informally educate myself for the purpose of creating a continuous flow of blog content. Admittedly, one of the things that freaks me out the most is that I will lose new ideas to speak of on this blog. Fortunately, I have not had this problem only because I have kept up on educating myself constantly. This is definitely something I want to continue, both for my benefit and for your benefit, but this will become a little more difficult, hence the following system...

Be a good husband and a good dad. This week, I was blessed to become a dad to a beautiful little girl. Everything they say is true: babies are a sleep wrecker. Don't get me wrong, this little sweetie has melted this daddy's heart, but my body has taken a huge toll. Family is definitely a priority in my life, so this is something I will definitely want to cultivate specifically in 2017 and throughout the rest of my life.

Those are the big things I'm going to focus on. Of course, there are other smaller things I have in mind, too. What do you plan on focusing on in 2017? Hope you all have a great New Year!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack