Skip to main content

Who Do You Think You Are?


Worldview. Religion. Outlook. Passion.

Whatever word you choose, we all have some sort of identity. Some people are able to put a finger on that more easily, labeling themselves as Christian or Muslim. Some have a general sense of who they are, noting that they promote family values and being a good person.

And then there's another category of people altogether. These people may not admit it to themselves, but there is a particular person, object, or idea that drives their entire lives. This last group makes me nervous, especially when a person's identity becomes wrapped up in their job.


Identities define you. Identities guide your behavior, your actions, and your mindset as a whole. Once that identity is set, it's really hard to break the mold. Our brains literally wire themselves in a way that certain behaviors and mindsets are reinforced through consistently used neural pathways. It's not unlike walking down the same path in a forest many times. Eventually, a trail is going to naturally form where your footsteps carve out a clear path.

It's this reason that explains why generational behavior is often hard to break. Where you'd think common sense would prevail, it just doesn't. Alcoholics tend to beget alcoholic children; the sexually abused become the sexual abusers. It's not impossible to break these patterns, but it is difficult to say the least.

Returning to the pertinence this has to business, there are people whose behaviors are guided by the fact that they have their identities wrapped up in their work. The problem with this is that work is wavering. Because we like to keep a level of homeostasis, we will fight to defend whatever our identity is in.

For those whose identity is wrapped up in their work, you will see these people get very defensive (or offensive) about their work. When you question their work, you are questioning them. When you want to suggest a change, you are suggesting to change them. They literally take it personally.

Clearly, this poses a big problem. On a smaller scale, it makes initiating change a difficult task. On a larger scale, you could have somebody go rogue and try bringing down a business altogether. While I cannot reference any traditional examples of this off the top of my head, I have seen this occur numerous times in churches. I have seen churches split over matters as trivial as changing the color of carpet in a sanctuary.

You, fellow readers, can help prevent this. First, ask yourself who you are. Who you really are. Ask the difficult question if your identity is tied up in something as wavering as work. (And I reference work a lot here because this is a business blog, but your identity could be tied up in another wavering thing like a failing relationship or a substance addiction.)

Second, look to see how you can re-orient your identity. I'm not going to lie: this may be really, really difficult for you. As shared above, this will require a rewiring of neural pathways that have been established for years. It's not an impossible task, but it's a tall order, to say the least.

To help you, let me share how I align my own identity, and perhaps you can glean some ideas on how to re-align your identity, too. I see my identity founded in this hierarchical order:


  • My faith
  • My wife and daughter
  • My other family
  • My health and well-being
  • My ability to help others (via writing this blog and volunteering at church)
  • My day-to-day job
  • My love of video games, writing, and reading

Notice closely, my day-to-day job is further down on the list. This isn't to say that I don't care about my job (because I truly, genuinely do) but rather to say that there are things that are more important. So if the company wants to make changes to better itself, I do not take it personally at all.

This is one of the weightiest posts I can ever write because it cuts to the core of our being. I'm speaking directly at what defines our meaning for existence. Don't take this lightly. Consider these words carefully and know that it is never too late to shape yourself to be the person you want to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.