Skip to main content

About LYEATT

This is my third attempt at starting a blog like this.

Each other time I started, I was so concerned about views. How many people read what I wrote? Did anybody express appreciation over it? Did anybody have any other thoughts to share about it?

The truth is, I heard nothing. Seemingly nobody cared! Although… I should say that really didn’t give either much to gain traction. Each maybe had three or four posts before my self-consciousness got the better of me and shut them down.

So why now? Why try again?


The first reason is simple: I have time again! While my learning journey is never over, I did just complete my Masters degree in Organizational Leadership, and that ate up a good chunk of my time.

Second, I am done being self-conscious. Well… I guess I should say that I’m going to do my best to not be self-conscious. If my end goal for this blog is to share ideas and learn from each other, then I have no choice but to get over myself.

Finally (and most importantly), I want this to be a space where you and I can grow through the sharing of thoughts and ideas. I feel like a small sponge that weighs twenty pounds because it is so overloaded with water. Specifically, you’ll find out quickly that I am a Christian, and I do feel compelled to do whatever I can to help you to grow.

I definitely don’t plan to limit the ranges of topics this blog will cover. I can tell you I will almost certainly cover business and theological matters, but I might just cover other random things that I find interesting. I’m really interested in outer space and the concept of alternate realities, so don’t be surprised if I get super “spacey” on you. (Pun intended!)

You’re probably wondering, “What’s with the title?” LYEATT is an acronym for “Leave your ego at the threshold.” The honest to goodness truth is that I meant it to be “Leave your ego at the door”, but I already screwed up. I don’t know why, but I kept think that phrase’s acronym was LYEATT and got so excited when I saw the domain name was available that I snatched it up and realized later I totally messed up.

But that’s the whole point of this blog! We are messy people that make mistakes all the time, so our first step toward learning and sharing ideas is checking our egos at the door. Am I upset at myself for already messing that up? Sure! But, if I look on the bright side, I can say that LYEATT is pronounced as “light”, which is kinda nice. (Plus, the word “threshold” has a very biblical feel, which is pretty darned appropriate given how much I expect to write about faith.)

I really just want this to be fun. I personally don’t get a kick out of watching sports or watching too much TV. Rather, I’m a nerd who likes to read books, listen to podcasts, and play video games that get you thinking about life.


If this sounds like you, welcome! If this doesn’t sound like you, stick around anyway! You may find yourself becoming a “nerd” just like me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.