Skip to main content

Is the Need for Consumer Insight Dead?

Think about your favorite product. You know, the one you use every day. It might be your iPhone. Your car. Your favorite makeup. Your shoes.

Now, grab a piece of paper. Spend a few minutes and write down everything you can think that would improve the product.

What did you come up with?

Chances are you have a list of minor, incremental upgrades. If you wrote down a list of things you'd improve on the iPhone, you probably listed things like a bigger battery, more storage space, or a better camera.

Those things are all fine and good, but let's face it: anybody could have predicted that. (With the iPhone in particular, that is literally what they have been doing with the past few iterations.)

The truth is, we think we know what we want, but our spotlights are so fixed upon what is in front of us that it is extremely difficult to shine that spotlight on other parts of the stage.

This is super well evidenced throughout history. In the book How Google Works, Jonathan Rosenberg notes how the former internet cable service provider Excite@Home sought insight on what their consumers thought would be most important. The consistent answer was speed. So, Excite@Home pushed forward advertising their product's speed over all else. After being pushed to the market, they found that the most appreciated feature was NOT speed. Rather, consumers appreciated the fact that the service was "always on" because things way back then required the arduous, annoying jaunt known as the dial up process.

That's a pretty obscure example, but there are plenty of things you can probably think of. When the iPad was first introduced, it was laughed off and poked fun at. Now, pretty much everybody owns a tablet or tablet-laptop hybrid, thanks to the path the iPad pioneered.

Or vice versa. Does anybody remember MySpace? MySpace thought to make a name for itself by allowing a grandiose amount of HTML formatting be done to customize a person's profile to reflect his or her personality. But the reality is that the HTML formatting people did to their profiles rendered the performance of the pages to slow down to the point that they were almost unusable. Facebook then came around and stripped away the customizability people thought they wanted and instead opted for a more stable experience.

We all know how that story ended.

Rarely ever does consumer experience insight garner anything truly revolutionary, so it is even worth undertaking anymore?

In my opinion, no.

You know me, and I'm not one to leave you hanging! I do have a different idea. It's not a new idea. It's one that companies like Google and Amazon have adopted and embraced into it's own practices.

Failing fast.

Or, in other words, pushing out the most new products as fast as it can, seeing what sticks, and learning from its mistakes.

Clearly, nobody has the crystal ball to predict what will stick and won't stick. Everybody thought the iPad would be a dud. It wasn't. Everybody thought MySpace was going to last forever. It wasn't. (Which I bet News Corporation wish they would have known when they spent $580 million for it in 2005.) 

Consumers only truly know what they love after they get their hands on it.

Undeniably, there is risk in doing this. But is the opportunity cost of NOT doing something greater than taking the risk?

(Hint: The answer is touched upon in this post.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack