Skip to main content

The Next Big Thing Isn't Another iPhone

I’ve not let on in any of my posts so far, but I am a big tech fan. I own pretty much every piece of technology you can think of, and I also regularly follow technology blogs and tech YouTube channels. (My favorites include MKBHD, TechnoBuffalo, and The Verge. Check them out!)

Just earlier today, Apple sent out invites for their next keynote event where they will most likely unveil the next iPhone. The most daunting prediction is that the next iPhone will do away with the 3.5mm headphone jack, and a lot of people have mixed (read: negative) feelings about that.

I’m not here to give my own opinion on that specific rumor (partially because I don’t have one). More so, people have been critical that Apple has not been innovative with their product lines recently, especially when compared to other companies like Samsung. But the underlying idea behind this criticism is that people are expecting the next big thing to be another iPhone.

Well… it won’t be. And here’s why.

This post isn’t actually about iPhones. Or smartphones. Or really technology at all. The iPhone is just a good example because it did create a revolution, and people are expecting it to continue to revolutionize our world.

In his now-legendary keynote address, Steve Jobs introduced the original iPhone in a unique way. Prior to its unveiling, he announced that Apple would be sharing “a widescreen iPod with touch controls, a revolutionary mobile product, and a breakthrough Internet communications device”. This was a brilliant move because it was catering to what people already knew and cared about.

Unless you’re super into microchips, you don’t care about technology.
You care about what you can do with the technology.

Jobs did the same thing when he announced the original iPod. He didn’t announce it as a compact device with X amount of storage that can read MP3 files. He announced it as “1000 songs in your pocket.”

The iPhone (and every other smartphone these days) is a platform for lots of things people like to do. In 2007, Jobs focused on the phone, iPod, and Internet pieces of the phone. Today, he might focus more on taking pictures, social media, and watching your favorite videos.

The next big thing will be a new platform for people to continue to do the things they love.

Unfortunately, I have no idea what this will be. Some people think it will be virtual reality (VR) or augmented reality (AR). I’m currently skeptical about that, but things could change. The next big thing may not be technological in nature at all. We’ll have to wait and see. If a company knew what the next big thing would be, no doubt they would be on top of that immediately.


Don’t get me wrong, smartphones are still an excellent platform, and I expect them to stick around for a long while.

But if you’re expecting a revolution... you’re looking in the wrong place.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.