Skip to main content

"Jesus Loves Me" Doesn't Put Food on the Table

The next time you go to a church, sit toward the back. Or better yet, sit at the front of a balcony if the church has one. When the sermon begins, watch the people sitting around you. I can pretty well guarantee you’ll see people tuning out in various ways. People browsing Facebook on their smartphones. People napping. Even people just clearly staring off into space.

Let’s be brutally honest: the traditional sermon model is broken.

DISCLAIMER: Okay, I probably should have started with this. I am a Christ follower. I love the church, and this isn’t a specific criticism about the church I attend nor the churches I have visited in the past. Sure, it’s a problem, but the reason I bring it up is because I truly desire for the church to flourish. Okay, back to the post!

If you think about it, you can probably figure out why it’s broken: pastors are rehashing the same material with slight variations over time. It’s no wonder why pastors get burnt out.

How would you like to speak about essentially the same topic over and over and over…?
Week after week after week…?
Year after year after year…?

Personally, I’d go insane.

Of course, calling something broken and not offering any solutions isn’t helpful at all. But fortunately, I had an epiphany hit me while on a walk today…

Telling me that “Jesus Loves Me” unfortunately doesn’t put food on my family’s table. How can we provide value to our regular attenders while encouraging new folks to come visit the church? I think the question below might be the answer.

What if pastors worked with a subject matter expert (SME) on teaching life skills while simultaneously sharing its biblical / theological foundation?

Topics could range anywhere from how to be a better marketer (I’m clearly still hung up on my previous post) to how to be a good parent. A pastor could reach out to a SME in the community on practical ways for a person to increase in that life skill and sharing Scripture on why the Lord would encourage us to do this.

Let’s use my last post on marketing as an example. If a pastor is well connected, he or she could work with Seth Godin in providing practical ways to better market a product. Seth might say “Encourage a quality output regardless of industry or position.” In addition to the practical advice, there is indeed a theological foundation. Colossians 3:23 states, “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” That’s just one example of many on working hard in the Bible.

I’ve touched on them already, but there are three key benefits toward moving to this model.
  1. It prevents pastors from getting burnt out. A big cause of burnout is pastors literally running out of ways to speak on the same material over and over. Life skills provide a never-ending source of topics
  2. It provides consistent value for long term members. People who have attended a church for a long period of time have most likely heard the same information in different formats over the years. They’re clearly getting bored because they checkout as soon as the pastor steps up to the pulpit, so this provides a fresh new reason to capture their attention again.
  3. Most importantly, it provides a good reason to invite somebody new to church. People may not be interested in hearing about forgiveness or the love of Jesus, but they may certainly be interested in learning about how to increase value in your career or how to be a better parent.
I am not saying to totally throw away all sermons having to do with love and forgiveness. Teaching life skills are good, but if we totally abandon sharing core theological values, then people will walk away with more life skills but zero knowledge about the love of Jesus. To that end, my encouragement would be a 75:25 split. In other words, spend 75% of the sermons covering life skills and the remaining 25% on traditional sermon topics.

This idea really excites me. Like I said, I truly want the church to flourish, and I genuinely think this is the key.

Leaving you all with one final thought. At the beginning of Acts right before Jesus ascends into heaven, he leaves his disciples with this parting note: “…You will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria and to the end of the earth.”

How can we expect to be good witnesses if we don’t have the skills to live amongst the people?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack