Skip to main content

Prayer Is Weird

Prayer is a weird thing. I don't get it. I won't pretend like I understand it. It's something I will probably always struggle with on some level. When it comes to learning about and practicing prayer, I have done it all. I've tried prayer journaling in a physical journal, prayer journaling in a virtual journal, praying along with the saints like St. Augustine. You name it, I've tried it.

Yet it's something I'll never stop doing.

If you have your reservations against God and against prayer, trust me, I totally know where you're coming from. My feelings on prayer have ranged from loneliness to feeling insane. It is kind of an insane notion because it is literally communicating to something we cannot be 100% certain exists.

Have I gotten angry / upset / frustrated at the fact that it feels like nobody is there and nobody cares?

You bet.

The reason I will never stop praying, though, is that my life, in retrospect, is an answered reflection of prayer. I have a good job, a loving family, and belongings I am very content with. 

Are there prayers that never got answered or haven't been answered? Absolutely. I remember a 7-year-old me begging and pleading with God to make my parents get me a Nintendo 64.

There are things that I still pray for specifically that have not been answered, so I decided to shift my focus on prayer in a different direction. I have spent more of my time praying for wisdom and a constant pursuit of what God would want me to do in my life.

If you asked me last week if I thought that prayer was being answered, I would probably tell you no. But then my wife pointed out to me that she has noticed a slow but sure change in the way I think and act and how it is in alignment with that prayer I just mentioned. That was an encouragement to hear.

So, I'll loop back to where this post began: prayer is weird.

And I will never stop doing it.

(Bonus tip: I use a free app called Echo and have setup reminders for me to pray consistently throughout the day. Granted, I am not perfect in holding to my prayer routine, but of all the weird prayer tips, this one has helped me the most. I have recurring notifications that follow the ACTS prayer model. I'd encourage you all to check this app out.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack