Skip to main content

Thoughts on the Frank Ocean Controversy

For those of you unaware, Frank Ocean dropped his new album, Blonde, independently, free from record labels as he has done in the past. Moreover, Ocean has made an agreement that the music streaming service Apple Music currently has the exclusive rights to stream the new album.

As The Verge is now reporting, one of the most major record labels, Universal Media Group (UMG), is now reporting that they will no longer allow exclusive deals with any music streaming services.

The Verge ends their article with a very appropriate question since it was one I was asking myself the entire time...

Why do recording artists even need a label anymore?


Of course, the answer was obvious way back when. The recording label helped with getting an artist's music out there in the form of vinyls records, cassettes, and CDs. From what I could garner in the article, it looks like Ocean isn't bothering with any physical medium and going purely digital.

I personally don't blame him. My generation seems to be going fully digital. Heck, both my car and wife's car don't even have CD players, instead opting for audio playback via Bluetooth or an AUX cord.

So, again, if Frank Ocean and Apple Music can pen a deal between them, then why even have a record label?

This idea doesn't just stop with record labels either. Digital media has turned every industry on its head. Amazon allows for self publication of eBooks, negating the need for book publishers. TV shows now have multiple ways to be streamed beyond the former channel-only model. Video games can be pushed directly to consumers via stores like Steam.

The reality is that we live in a new world.

In my opinion, it's a better world.

It's better in the sense that it allows for a greater distribution of art. The little guy wanting to publish his book doesn't have to deal with a massive conglomerate anymore. He can do so on his own.

Moreover, it encourages (well, forces) people formally working in these record label spaces to use their brainpower toward other endeavors. Do you think the presidents of these production companies will just roll over if their companies go belly up? Heck no. They'll just use their talents elsewhere.

Naturally, companies like UMG are scared because the gravy train is coming to an end. I definitely expect more artists to follow Ocean's lead.

"Mass" is going away. In a world where the internet has brought us all closer together, we are reverting back to a society that focuses itself on niches rather than mass.

I definitely want to write more on this, but it's 1:00am as I write this. I need to get some sleep!  Expect another post coming in the future touching more on this topic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.