Skip to main content

Five Games to Play While Listening to Podcasts

I'm a big fan of podcasts. I regularly listen to at least two podcasts every day, ranging from business to comedy to video gaming. Speaking of that last one, the best time to listen to podcasts (aside from exercise) is while playing a video game.

Now, you can't just play any video game while listening to podcasts because it's just not conducive in every situation. For example, I would never suggest you play something like Call of Duty online while listening to a podcast. All your brainpower will go to the game and zero to the podcast. So when coming up with this list, I held to these couple of criterion for games suitable for simultaneous podcast:

  • Can't be heavily story driven (Looking at you, Telltale Games)
  • Can't be something that involves a ton of strategy
  • Can't can't CAN'T be multiplayer

Keeping these criterion in mind, here are five games I'd suggest you check out.

1. Super Mario Maker (Wii U or Nintendo 3DS)


Really, you could put any side-scrolling Mario game in here. They're relatively simple and don't require a lot of brainpower. I specifically call out Super Mario Maker for a few reasons. First, there is the creative aspect of Mario Maker that allows you to create levels. If you enjoy this sort of thing, Mario Maker's creative abilities lend very well to simultaneous podcast. And second, it's all the Mario you could ever want. Granted, there are a ton of crappy levels out there, but there's also a good crop of pretty decent levels. I loved this game so much that I instantly purchased the 3DS version when it came out. (Check out my mini review of the 3DS version here.)

2. Chip's Challenge (PC)


We're throwing back to a simple time when fancy graphics were only a dream. This often forgotten game is a fantastic puzzle adventure with over 100 levels. The puzzles within Chip's Challenge do require a little bit of thinking, but I don't think they are so draining that you can't pop on a podcast, too. At least, I didn't find it to be a problem myself. If you've never played this game before, do yourself a favor and check it out.

3. Noodles! (iOS)


This was Apple's "Free App of the Week" a few months back, and I am so glad I downloaded it. It's a relatively simple puzzle game that requires the player to move these polygons around to create a shape of sorts. I got super addicted to it when it first came out, which is saying something since I'm not a big mobile gamer anymore. For $2, it's definitely worth picking up.

4. Tetris (Pretty much every platform ever)


Come on. If you haven't played Tetris, you haven't lived. And according to Tim Ferriss, Tetris helps foster better sleep. (The more you know!) You can play Tetris on pretty much every platform ever. My personal favorite version is the one Nintendo put out for the original Nintendo DS back in 2006. They implemented a fantastic multiplayer version with that game. Who'd know that multiplayer Tetris could be so awesome? (Of course, I wouldn't suggest playing it in multiplayer if you want to listen to a podcast!)

5. Borderlands: The Handsome Collection (PS4, Xbox One, PC)


Borderlands: The Handsome Collection is the bundled remaster of Borderlands 2 and Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel! I know, I know, some of you will know that I am breaking the "story-driven" rule. Yes, Borderlands is a story-driven game, but because of its super high replay value, I love re-playing this game and ignoring the story the second or third time around. To that end, I would suggest you pay attention to the story for your first playthrough and then turn on the podcasts with your subsequent playthroughs. (And yes, you will play this game multiple times!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack