Skip to main content

Respect and Trust: The Slow Burn Earn

Sometimes I lie awake at night and think about the most random things. Things that I had not thought about in years. Last night, I was recalling the first time I ever attended an all-adult bible study group. I was either 19 or 20 years old, and one of my old friends invited me to attend with her and her mom. I remember feeling really out of place, a kid living in an adult's body. "I shouldn't be here" is the thought that kept running through my head.

The funny thing is, that's about all I remember about the experience. It must not have been that bad if I can't remember anything else! Retrospectively thinking about how I could have gained respect as an adult at the time, I thought about the things I could have said or the ideas I could have shared with that group. After all, I had at least one year of biblical classes under my belt.

Where I ended up was unexpected.

I should have not said a single word aside from the pleasantries of greetings.

Not what you were expecting, was it? This is actually a derivative of a piece of advice I overheard when I was a senior in undergrad. It was an exchange between one of my favorite business professors, Eric Teoro, was advising a Preaching major intern (yes, that's a real major) on what he should do post-undergrad. As you'd expect, this intern was seeking a pastoral position in a church, so here's the advice Teoro gave (not verbatim):


"For the first year of your ministry within a church, do not try to change anything. Go with the flow and focus on building relationships with people. After the year, I can pretty well guarantee you that you will have a much easier time instigating change."

I think this advice is applicable for any situation, really. It doesn't necessarily have to be a full year, per Teoro's suggestion, but at the beginning of any new involvement with anything, focus on building relationships to foster trust and respect. Just like the title of this post suggests, it's a slow burn earn.

Back to my original example. I mentioned that I could have began the road of respect and trust by being silent aside from being naturally friendly to folks. If I wanted to share my ideas with the folks in that group, I probably wouldn't do so until after attending the group after five, six, or even seven times.

You won't earn respect and trust on day one. Period. And that's okay because we don't want people to be naive enough to hand their respect and trust out to everybody like they're handing out Tic Tacs. We don't live in a perfect world, and frankly, there are definitely people out there that shouldn't be trusted. Respect and trust guide us to guard ourselves from people who lead us into bad things. So it makes good sense that respect and trust are earned over time.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack