Skip to main content

Key Competency #6: Patience and Impatience

"Patience is a virtue."

You've probably heard that statement a number of times. And I don't disagree: people tend to be unnecessarily impatient with trivial things these days. For this post, however, I suggest that the competency here would come as a balance between patience and impatience.

In other words, impatience (in the right context) is also a virtue.

Allow me to refine with a couple of examples. We'll start off with patience. One of my favorite movies is The Social Network. For those not aware of the film's premise, the film is a dramatized version of Facebook's early years. (Very minor spoilers ahead.) At one point in the film, Jesse Eisenberg's Mark Zuckerberg approaches Justin Timberlake's Sean Parker about monetizing Facebook. Parker suggests that it might be too early to be thinking about that by dropping this infamous line:

"You know what's cooler than a million dollars? A billion dollars."

This applies to pretty much any business. Sometimes, we're so quick to jump on something that we're missing out on a potentially big opportunity. For a more intimate example, take this blog. If I wanted to monetize it today, I could do so by enabling Google's AdSense advertising. But that would create a poor reading experience, and I probably wouldn't make much money given my currently low readership.

We could dwell on this point more, but let's instead shift our focus on why impatience can be important. I have spoken a number of times on the importance of a person's time since it is the only truly non-renewable resource. Because time is precious, we have to be very mindful of how we use it.

To that end, we do need to be impatient in the appropriate context. I think back to my undergrad days where a lot of time was wasted in group efforts. Teammates spent a lot of time chatting and not a lot of time getting stuff done. I was working two jobs while simultaneously attending classes full time, so I really could have used this wasted time on other things.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying to be overtly rude or aggressive about it, but being kindly "impatient" to move things along isn't a bad thing. Some people might be a little offended, but if we want to be mindful of people's time, it's a necessary competency.

So, the billion dollar question then: where do we strike that balance? Unfortunately, there isn't a one-size-fits-all answer. You'll have to use a discerning mind in every scenario. If I were to suggest anything, I would err on the side of being more patient, especially in cases where you are in a relationship-building stage. In fact, I would suggest being extremely cautious with exercising impatience in any relationship-building stage.

That wraps up this post. Do you agree with the sentiments shared here? How would you suggest balancing that line between patience and impatience? Share for everybody to see down in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack