Skip to main content

Five Non-Obvious Reasons to Exercise Regularly



In 2017, my aspiration is to continually focus on positively influencing my health since the way I lost weight wasn't particularly recommended. The end of 2016 saw me gain back 10 pounds and brutally ravage my knees, so I'm going to be overhauling my health and wellness to maintain my weight loss without killing my body. This will be the first in a series of health-related posts, and I have created a new blog label to indicate that.

Anyway, I'm still a big advocate of exercise, and I've been thinking a lot about the benefits of exercise beyond being obviously good for your physical health. I hope these extra benefits encourage you to regularly exercise in 2017 to promote your own health and wellness. Without further ado, let's get into it!


1. It helps establish a regular schedule. I exercise pretty much at the same time every day: either directly before work or directly after work. In either case, I have my daily schedule pretty well fixated around exercise and work. It might not seem like a big deal, but it really, really is. One big reason is that it helps to tamp down decision fatigue, which I talked about in another recent post. (Find it here.) And speaking of schedules, it also helps regulate another specific kind of schedule...

2. It helps you sleep better. Prior to exercising, I had a really awful time trying to sleep. I'd either have a heck of a time falling asleep or waking up in the middle of the night frequently. Studies have shown that sleep and exercise are directed correlated, specifically noting that exercise positively influences a healthy sleep pattern. (Read more about this at sleep.org.) I can personally attest that this is definitely true. I sleep so much better these days, even with having a newborn baby girl!

3. You can multitask to foster learning. I'm not a big advocate of multitasking in most situations, but exercise is one exception to this rule. You can do a number of different things depending on the exercise you're doing. I listen to podcasts while lifting weights, watch YouTube videos / TED talks on the elliptical, and read on the exercise bike. It's an excellent use of your time.

4. Exercise boosts brain power. Almost all my blog posts are thought about while exercising and written immediately following a workout. I'm not fully aware of all the science behind it, but studies have shown that exercise increases your cognitive abilities. (Here's an article that explains it more.) This is why I like to work out before work: I feel refreshed and ready to begin each day bright and early.

5. It provides you with a regular sense of accomplishment. This one I garnered from a piece I recently read in Tim Ferriss's newest book Tools of Titans. In an interview with four-star general Stanley McChrystal, McChrystal had this to say about exercise: "I find that if a day is terrible, but I worked out, at the end of the day I'll go, 'Well, I had a good workout,' almost no matter what happens." This is an excellent point that I had not thought about before, but it's so true. Know that if it feels like you checked nothing off your to-do list on a given day, at least you checked off that exercise box.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack