Skip to main content

Reader Challenge #3: Set a Micro-Goal for Yourself

We're just now getting into the new year, and this is generally the time where people make grandiose resolutions that mostly end up falling flat. Instead of setting yourself an impossible resolution, I'm going to suggest something a little different: setting a micro-goal for yourself.

I've been listening to a lot of talks involving Ramit Sethi lately, and in one of the interviews I listened to, he brought up an interesting notion he experienced. The notion was that people like that idea of seeing themselves doing any given thing on a regular basis, but the act of doing that thing even once is not appealing to them.


Sethi illustrates this in two ways he personally experienced. The first was around a table of people he was eating dinner with. At this time, each person was to go around the table to share something along the lines of how each person would make themselves better. (My memory is failing me right now, but I think that was the general gist.) One lady mentioned that she would like to cook a meal at home just once a month. Of course, everybody laughed, but the fact of the matter is that she was probably the most honest person around that table, admitting that even cooking at one just once a month is a stretch for her. (Sethi contends that while everybody laughed, they all probably ate out every night, too, and struggled with the same thing.)

The other illustration was an email Sethi received from a follower once that stated she wanted to get to a point where she worked out 3x per week. Sethi replied asking why not shoot for just one time a week? The follower honestly replied, "Why would I do that?" implying it wasn't worth doing at all if she couldn't do the full 3x per week.

The reality is that we want to jump to the end without taking the baby steps in the middle. We're all guilty of this in some fashion or another. Prior to losing the weight, I attempted running a 5K and keeping up with all the other trained runners. I ended up nearly blacking out after about a half mile and walked the rest of the race! After having run every day and slowly increasing my distance / pace, I can now almost lead the pack in a race.

Keeping this in mind, my challenge to us all is to set a micro-goal for ourselves. My micro-goal will be cooking once per week at home. Generally, my wife does most of the cooking, and if she doesn't cook, then we find ourselves eating out. Since we just had a baby and my wife is still recovering from having had a c-section, I figure it will be good to help her out in this way. (Plus, it makes good fodder for my other blog!)

If you want to start working out, set a goal of working out just once a week. If you want to cut back on drinking pop, try only cutting out one day of the week instead of all seven. Your micro-goal can be anything. Find something you are inspired to do and cut it down to its most minimal form, then start from there. Don't get down on yourself for not being perfect on day one. We all have to start somewhere.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack