Skip to main content

Five Reasons Fast Food is Still a Good First Job



As a new dad, I am constantly thinking about how I can help mold my daughter into be a strong, capable woman someday. It probably won't surprise you, but I'm not fully sold on the education system doing that. I loop college in with that category. There is still a place for education, but when I think about what helped shape me, formal education played a relatively small role in that.

What helped mold me the most was just getting out there and working. I've worked in a number of different positions now. I've been a sales associate at Bath & Body Works (true story), a traveling intern for Christ in Youth - Know Sweat, a help desk specialist for Lincoln Christian University, and more.

But my first job (if you don't count my manual labor work for my dad's HVAC business) was working at a Steak 'n Shake. I worked there for about a year in high school, primarily manning the drive thru, but I did have my hand in everything at one point or another. I worked the prep station, made those infamous shakes, swept floors, and even flipped patties once.

I wasn't a fan of the job, but I honestly didn't hate it either. It helped teach me some fundamental things about work, and most of the people I worked with were pretty friendly. Given that most places (like offices) won't allow employees under 18 or even 21, I still think fast food is a good first job. Here are five reasons why.

1. The stakes are low. Fast food restaurants are good training grounds for people entering the workforce because making a mistake is not a big deal. If you immediately start in an office setting and make a mistake, that mistake could potentially have huge ramifications. If you accidentally burn a patty or mess up somebody's order, the most likely negative consequence is a scolding from your manager. That's really not all that bad in the grand scheme of things.

2. You regularly work directly with end users. The end users, of course, being the customers. We all have to work with end users in any industry, and we all know this can be a sub-optimal experience at times. You're inevitably going to run into difficult people, and this definitely happens in the fast food world. The good news, thinking back to the first point, is that the stakes are low. Worst case scenario: a customer storms out or drives off angrily after yelling at you. At least you can develop skills to handle these people that you will carry with you the rest of your life.

3. You work with a diverse group of people. Fast food definitely attracts some characters. Because of the low barrier of entry, you will definitely encounter all kinds of people in the fast food industry. Some people are super nice and some people are... well... they're not super nice. I worked with other high schoolers like myself, folks who had been there for years and years, and even a couple reformed convicts. That last group admittedly scared the crap out of me initially, but I found some of them to be extremely nice and helpful. I am grateful for having had those interactions.

4. You can learn from the best and from the worst of your coworkers. Let's be honest: fast food doesn't necessarily attract the best people. I worked with some pretty lazy people, and I found that I could learn what NOT to do from these folks. On the other hand, there do exist some great workers in the fast food industry. At Steak 'n Shake, I worked with a gentleman who had special needs that worked well in this repetitive environment. He was constantly busy doing something. If he wasn't serving folks, he was sweeping floors or wrapping utensils in napkins. His work ethic was definitely admirable.

5. You learn to appreciate other jobs. Fast food might be a good first job, but I definitely would never want to go back to that environment. Of course, there's the low pay, but there are other factors beyond that. Having that greasy feeling after ending every shift, having little to no influence in decision-making, and having to wear that paper hat that never fit my giant cabeza! It made me work hard at all my subsequent jobs knowing that I always wanted to be in a better spot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.