Skip to main content

Reader Challenge #4: Be Extra Nice to the Next Person Who Makes a Mistake

We've all had an experience where somebody made a mistake. A waiter brings out a pizza that clearly that doesn't have the right toppings. A clerk gets us an article of clothing that is the wrong size. A family member picks up the wrong brand of something at the grocery store. (That last one is usually me doing the screwing up!)

Life happens. Mistakes are made. Most of the time, those mistakes aren't made intentionally, so why do we tend to get angry at these people? It baffles me because the person didn't have ill intentions, yet we feel it necessary to retaliate against them. I know when I make a mistake, I already feel bad for having made that mistake. Getting angry only makes that person feel doubly bad.

So instead of getting angry at that person, my challenge to you this week is to do the opposite: be nice to them. I'll take it a step further and encourage you be extra nice to them. This helps to establish what Michael Scott would refer to as a win-win-WIN situation. Allow me to explain:

  • The first win: It makes the person who made a mistake feel better. They know they screwed up, so it's nice that somebody is cutting them a break.
  • The second win: It makes you feel better. You chose to take the moral high ground, and you should feel a little sense of pride that you made somebody's day brighter.
  • The third win: It helps those after you. This might not occur to you right away, but you're setting a precedent for those who made a mistake. If you choose to retaliate against the "mistaker", then that person is more apt to be bummed out for the rest of the day, causing lesser productivity or lesser quality work. It screws over the people coming after you. Conversely, if you make the "mistaker's" day a little brighter by being extra nice to them, they are more likely to have an upbeat day, increasing their productivity and higher quality of work. And that helps out the people coming after you. Yay!
For me, personally, I find that it takes more energy to get angry. It really doesn't help anything or anybody to get angry. So just be nice. It's the right thing to do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.