Skip to main content

Promote Trust over Governance

I have a friend that used to work in a medium-sized organization with an absolutely brutal process for receiving expense approval. What made it brutal is the fact that the CEO took it upon herself to approve every single thing. This included anything ranging from reimbursing mileage for traveling employees to office supplies to toilet paper. Yes, toilet paper. That last point got so bad that one time the office did completely run out of toilet paper.


This is a pretty extreme example, but we've all worked worked in environments that place some sort of emphasis on governance. It may be formal or informal, trite or significant. It may be called a different name, like "approval process" or even the more subtle "micro-management". Regardless of how it manifests itself, I would encourage tamping it down as much as possible or eliminating it altogether in favor of promoting an environment of trust. 

There are several reasons why you would want to do this. In the example above, the CEO was falling far behind on her own self-imposed regulatory process that it was causing more of a hindrance than a help. Governance processes on any level inevitably add more time because it adds more people, and if there's one thing we should keep in mind, it's that time is the only non-renewable resource and thus should be used wisely.

In addition, trust instills a sense of appreciation within your trustees. Again referencing the example above, think about the inverse effect the CEO's actions had on the company's employees. How would you feel if the CEO wouldn't even trust me with buying some toilet paper? I don't know about you, but I'd feel pretty worthless.

Playing devil's advocate, I'm sure some of you are wondering, "How will you ensure that integrity is being promoted within X?" Well, consider this: integrity is a two-way street. Sure, the people you are entrusting to do something must have integrity in their practices; however, we sometimes neglect that governing parties also need to have integrity. If you find that you have a problem trusting your associates with anything, that's a bigger problem that needs to be addressed altogether. Governing processes aren't going to help with that.

To that end, consider your business practices that have governing processes. Are they truly helping, or are they wasting away your company's assets? Moreover, are they belittling to your associates? Is your own time better spent on something else? I think you'll find that acting upon the ideas shared here will be beneficial for your business and beneficial for promoting the happiness of your associates.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.