Skip to main content

Be Mindful of Invisible Scripts


Whether we like it or not, assumptions pretty much drive our lives. We learn to live not because we have analyzed a certain matter thoroughly. Rather, much of what we know today was ingrained in us in our adolescent development.

Some of these are more obvious. Take going to college, for example. When I graduated from high school, something like 90% of my graduating class planned on pursuing some sort of college education. Even if my parents didn't encourage me to go to college (they did), it still seemed like the thing I needed to do.

But some things aren't so obvious. There are subtle things people do and say that guide our choices in a way we are oblivious to.

In an interview I recently listened to with advisor and entrepreneur Ramit Sethi, he brought up this exact notion. His way of illustrating this idea was to talk about home ownership. Most people aren't going to tell you that owning a home is the end all, be all, but there are subtle things people says and do that reinforce this idea. Moreover, these same people may unintentionally be doing these things.

Returning to the home ownership example, Sethi notes a possible interaction between one person and a second party, probably a friend or family member. If you already own a home, thar second party may say something like, "Wow, you own this home?" Let's paint the picture further with some extra context. That same second party may give off nonverbal cues of positive reinforcement. Things like raising their eyebrows, changing the inflection of their voice, and nodding reassuringly.

Without ever directly saying "Home ownership is great," this second party has already made this idea abundantly clear via indirect quotes and nonverbal cues.

Sethi refers to these as the invisible scripts that guide our lives. Think about all the things that you have done but weren't explicitly told to do so.

Why do you own two cars?
Why do you work in your current job?
Why do you (or don't you) have kids?
Why do you wear the clothes you wear?

Ask yourselves these questions to dig at the heart of why you do what you do. You might find that you're truly happy with your choices. For me, I was guided by the invisible script that I need to have kids, and this is not a choice at all that I regret.

But if you find your life is miserable, you may find that a particular idea originated as the result of an invisible script. Maybe you hate working in your job because it's located in the same town you grew up in, and the invisible script is telling you you can never leave. It could literally be anything.


Don't be afraid to ask the question, "Why?" Be mindful of these invisible scripts. You may find yourself making different decisions that take your life in a new, better direction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.