Skip to main content

The Nintendo Switch's Untapped Potential

It's no secret that I am excited for the Nintendo Switch. I already have it pre-ordered and have even requested that day off work for its release. To top that, I've watched pretty much every YouTube video I can to learn more about the console.

In a recently uploaded video, MatPat of The Game Theorists duked it out head-to-head against none other than the president and COO of Nintendo of America, Reggie Fils-Aime. The topic: whether or not Nintendo should continue in the hardware console market or become a pure software company much like SEGA. Check it out below:

Link to "Should Nintendo STOP Making Consoles? - DeadLock (Feat. Reggie from Nintendo)

I'm really impressed with Nintendo for agreeing to do this video. MatPat definitely didn't go easy on Reggie. He made a lot of valid points, so kudos to Nintendo for tackling these matters head on.

But as much as I am impressed with Nintendo for their endeavors with the Switch, I haven't heard much about one thing. One thing that could truly propel them back to the top, like the Wii days.

Let's get into it!

THE BEST SELLING CONSOLE TODAY

One of the points cited by MatPat in the video above was the Wii U's dismal sales compared to its prime competitors: the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. Let's recap what these numbers were again...


  • Wii U: 12 million units
  • Xbox One: 25 million units
  • PS4: 50 million units

So which one is the best selling console? Well... it depends on how you look at it. Let me clarify by adding a new number here:



That last number doesn't even include tablet gaming. If you look at it that way, mobile gaming blows every console out of the water. It kind of makes sense. Mobile games are easy to build, quick to distribute, and cheap to purchase. According to Mojang in 2015, Minecraft: Pocket Edition alone has been downloaded a whopping 30 million times. And according to this CNBC article, mobile gaming revenue was set to surpass console gaming revenue in mid-2016.

Clearly, there is money in mobile gaming.

NINTENDO'S OTHER PORTABLE CONSOLE

Let's not forget that Nintendo still has another portable console: the Nintendo 3DS. The 3DS may have had a slow start when it launched in 2011, but its user base has since grown and grown. To date, Nintendo has sold roughly 57 million units. That's even more than the PS4. (Granted, the PS4 came out two years after the 3DS.)

Clearly, Nintendo still has a hold on the mobile console market. Even though Sony once again tried to penetrate the market with its PS Vita, the Vita was sadly a flop. (As a Vita owner, this does make me sad because I do love my Vita!)


The Nintendo 3DS is one of my favorite systems, but I'll wholly admit that it is limited. Of course, there's the lesser processing power, but what's more important is that it is just not a console suitable for traditional mobile gaming. I’m speaking to two things: the dual screen and resistive touch screen. This means you have to use a stylus on the touch screen as opposed to the capacitive screen found on every smartphone and tablet. As a result, games found on iOS and Android are not typically found on the Nintendo 3DS.

SO... WHAT DOES THIS ALL MEAN?

Let's tackle this section by quickly recapping the strengths and weaknesses of Nintendo's current consoles and the mobile platform.

Wii U
  • Strengths
    • Very strong first party title support
  • Weaknesses
    • Use of resistive touchscreen in GamePad
    • Lack of third party support
    • Lack of portability

Nintendo 3DS
  • Strengths
    • Very strong first party title support
    • Portability
    • Price
  • Weaknesses
    • Dual screen
    • Use of resistive touchscreen
    • Low processing power

Mobile Platform
  • Strengths
    • Very strong platform for smaller games
    • Capacitive touch screens
    • Portability
  • Weaknesses
    • Lack of hard controls to meet gaming standards
    • Relatively high price compared to Wii U and 3DS

What this means that the Nintendo Switch has the ability to corner the mobile gaming market while simultaneously alleviating the weaknesses of its preceding consoles.

Think about it. I know a ton of parents that buy a kid either a tablet or something like an iPod Touch because of the cheap mobile games like Angry Birds. Those things aren't cheap. At the same time, parents are still prone to buy either the Wii U or 3DS, or maybe even both. With the Nintendo Switch, parents don't have to buy 3 different devices. They can buy one: the Nintendo Switch.

And this is what baffles me about Nintendo: they haven't mentioned this notion at all. Nintendo can capitalize big time on this idea, yet it has gone wholly unmentioned. I understand their push to corner the hardcore gaming market, but if they truly wanted to drive sales, this is the route I would go.

SUMMARY

  • The most profitable gaming market is actually found in mobile gaming.
  • Nintendo's current consoles, Wii U and 3DS, have weaknesses that are not conducive to the mobile market.
  • The Nintendo Switch alleviates the weaknesses of Nintendo's preceding consoles and also makes it a viable platform for the games typically found on iOS and Android.
  • Where parents are apt to buy three different pieces of hardware for their kids (Wii U, 3DS, and smart device), parents now only have to buy one device: the Nintendo Switch.
  • Nintendo should capitalize on that last point!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack