Skip to main content

Key Competency #4: A Dash of "Not-Care-itude"

As an avid listener of The Tim Ferriss Show podcast, I listened to a recently uploaded episode complementary to his new book Tools of Titans (review incoming) that covered a number of tough questions he encouraged everybody to ask themselves. One of the questions he shared was, "How would you run your business if you were only allowed to work that business two hours a week?"
Ferriss was, at one point, the owner of a health supplement company. Upon asking himself that question, he did a number of things, but the thing that stuck out to me most was how he handled people that worked on his behalf. Slowly but surely, he allotted more and more liberty to make cost-based decisions that he normally would have had involvement in. Along with that, he admitted that he had to be okay with letting some "bad" things happen.

If you've caught on by now, this post is really about micromanagement. In fact, you could arguably re-title this post "Key Competency #4: Dropping the Micromanagement". I still like my title better, which is why it stands as is!

Anyway, we've talked frequently on this blog about our limitations. Specifically, we are limited in our knowledge and limited in our time. There is no possible way that a single person can know everything, and the one resource every single person is constrained by is time. We simply can't do it all.

That said, like Tim Ferriss, we have to be okay with letting go of some things. I call it having a little bit of "not-care-itude". We're never going to be able to control every single event, so we have to make a choice: we can either try (and inevitably fail) to control everything, or we can spend our time focused on other, more important things.

It might seem like the obvious answer here, but it clearly still happens all the time. We've all worked with somebody who has micromanaged a project. Heck, we ourselves have probably micromanaged a project, perhaps inadvertently.

Being able to let go of small things is good from multiple perspectives. We already mentioned that it's good for yourself because it enables you to focus your time on more important matters, but there's a clear benefit for the people around you. When you allow people to make decisions for themselves, it instills in them a sense of appreciation and empowerment. That's really important for leadership. Obviously, you want to ensure these folks can handle what is thrown at them, but I would encourage more of a default toward enabling them over constraining them.

That's it for this post! I hope you find this post and the other "Key Competency" add a lot of value to your lives. I think you'll find that this idea gets easier and easier to embrace over time. It might be difficult the first time you let go of the small things, but I assure you it gets better over time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.