Skip to main content

The Best Investment You Can Ever Make

Along with a job change naturally comes a re-thinking of personal finances. What do I do with my 401k? Do I want to consider new financial avenues given that I'll also be having a baby soon? Should I move some of my savings into an IRA? I am not a financial savant, by any means, so these questions baffle me equally as much as they would the next person. I wish I could tell you what to invest your money in that would give you the absolute most return on your investment.

Then it hit me: I'm pretty sure I know what the best investment is. The one that will give you the most bang for your buck. It's a little unorthodox, but I think you'll agree with me in the end.


The best investment you can make is in yourself.

We can use mathematical algorithms to assess risk of certain kinds of financial investments, but at the end of the day, it is really out of our hands. It's not like we could have any active involvement in influencing those investments, and if we could, it would most likely be considered a white collar crime.

What we can control, however, is our own life. Okay, granted, you can't pick where you're going to work and how much you're going to get paid, but you can significantly influence it.

I'm going to use myself as an example here. In my former job, I did not have the luxury of having any of my educational endeavors paid for. Please note that I do not at all fault my former employer for this. Investing money in your associates' education can be risky on multiple levels. (They may take off for a better job; they may squander the education; etc.)

Anyway, despite the lack of financial backing, I still wanted to better myself via getting certifications and my Master's degree. These things weren't free. Far from it, actually. Just to show you how "not free" these things were, look at the breakdown of costs in getting these things. (And I'm pulling these numbers from my memory, so they might not be 100% accurate, but they're in the ballpark for sure.)

  • PMP
    • Project management course: $200
    • Exam simulator: $100
    • PMP book: ~$50
    • PMP exam and registration: $600
  • CSM
    • Course and membership registration: $1000
  • CSPO
    • Course and membership registration: $1000
  • ITIL Foundations certificate
    • Book: ~$30
    • Exam: ~$100
  • Six Sigma Green Belt
    • Course: ~$500
  • M.A. in Org. Leadership
    • ~$11,000 after scholarships

Add up all those numbers, and we're looking at right under $15,000 in post-undergraduate education.

That's no small amount of money.

(My wife is a saint for letting me spend that much!)

But I anticipate the return on bettering myself will have a much better return than any mutual fund or annuity. I don't think I'll ever be able to quantify that return, but I can assure you that plunking down $15k this early in life will MORE than pay itself off in the salary I receive from my current and future career positions.

If you're in a place where you can spare some money in bettering yourself, do it. Especially if you're young. The younger, the better, because it will have a rolling snowball effect throughout the remainder of your career.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack