Skip to main content

The Danger of a Degree

I have an M.A. in Organizational Leadership. I also have my Project Management Professional (PMP) certification. Add to that two Scrum Alliance certifications, an ITIL Foundations certificate, and a Six Sigma Green Belt and you've got a ton of letters trailing after my name in my email signature.

If I'm being totally honest... I don't really care about any of them.
The only thing they prove is that I'm a "master instruction follower".

I had to follow a list of instructions to get everything listed above. For my Master's degree, it was going through a series of classes and completing homework assignments. For my PMP, I had to take a super long multiple-choice test. Heck, for my Scrum Alliance certifications, all I had to do was sit in a class for two days.

I'm not saying that the information garnered from each of those things is devoid of any value, but there is a great danger in a degree or certification. It creates the great problem of assumption in standardization. In other words, it assumes that Person A with a PMP is just as good in project management as Person B with PMP. I think it goes without saying that that is not definitely not the case.

That's the danger of a degree or certification. The majority of people seek the paper, not the education. And if you think kids are the only ones that try to cheat their way through school, guess again. In both Scrum Alliance certification classes, there were students in the class that definitely rode the coattails of people around them.

Just. Because. They wanted. The paper.

And for better or worse, I totally understand where the thought is coming from: people still look at them as being valuable! You pretty much can't get any decent job without a bachelor's degree even though everybody and their brother has a bachelor's degree these days. If you want proof of that, just go to a Starbucks and ask how many of the baristas have a college degree.

Don't get me wrong, this post isn't to put down anybody but rather to illustrate a point: the education system as we know it is broken. The public school system is churning out "well-rounded" people who are good at following instructions, and that thought carries into college degrees and certifications.

But really, the paper is not what matters. It's the application of the education in real life.

I hope you read that closely because I don't want you to think that I'm down on education as a whole. Are college degree programs bloated with useless information? Sure, but I also learned some really valuable stuff from 3 or 4 of my courses in undergrad. (The sad part is that I took something like 40 courses across my undergrad degree, so the fact that I only found roughly 10% of them to be valuable is a sad marker.) If I thought education was wholly useless, I wouldn't be seeking a second potential Master's degree, which is exactly what I'm doing.

Anyway, I really hope you take something away from this post. Education can be great, but don't do it just for the piece of paper at the end of the road. Even though I don't value my own education that much, there are still parts of it that I found extremely helpful. For example, even though it may sound like I'm bashing the Scrum Alliance certifications, I loved those courses and found them to be super fruitful. It just makes me sad and disappointed that there were folks in there clearly just for the paper.

If you found this post interesting, check out the book Linchpin by Seth Godin. I know, I know, I recommend his stuff all the time, but that book is seriously enlightening. It'll give you a whole new perspective on things. For the better.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack