Skip to main content

The Christian Civil War of 2016

There's no doubt that the outcome of the recent election had arguably the most divisive outcome in American history. People have not been afraid to voice their anger and concerns about Trump's election on social media. From what I've seen, the most vocalization has come from the left, and I honestly haven't seen a lot of overt support from the right. (That's another topic altogether.)

What has quietly gone unaddressed is another issue that has stemmed from the election: a Christian civil war. As somebody who cares for the church, this something I definitely think needs addressed sooner rather than later.

So before we move on, let's take a step back to define what a civil war is. The American Civil War has very much tainted the original definition, and when people think about the term "civil war", they think about a fight over racism. That was only partially true of the American Civil War. Anyway, the term "civil war" as a whole is simply defined as the following:


A war between opposing citizens of the same country

Granted, the Christian church as a whole is not its own nation in the traditional sense of the word, but we still should strive to be one "body" with the unified goal of promoting Christ.

Anyway, the recent election has caused somewhat of a Christian civil war. Namely, I have noticed left-leaning Christians overtly blame "fundamentalist" Christians for the election of Trump, basically calling them racist. That topic is a tricky one altogether and one this post will not seek to address.

But the problem here, in my mind, is that we're taking this fight to social media: a platform that everybody can witness. Let me make that more clear: non-Christians are watching Christians battle other Christians online.

That concerns me.

Again, the whole matter of addressing left-leaning Christians' concerns is its own topic, but that's not something I think should be taken to social media. Partially because I don't think posting to social media is going to solve the problem, but mostly, I think we're driving people away from the church more quickly than ever.

Not that all people look at it this way, but I would definitely say that there is a fair chunk of people who do not differentiate between left-leaning Christians and right-leaning Christians. In other words, there are a lot of non-Christians that view Christians as one, singular body. I don't blame them at all for this understanding. After all, that's what we should be aspiring to.

So when we attack each other on social media, they're not making that differentiation between this Christian or that Christian. All they're seeing is, "Christians are racist."

This is super counter-intuitive to what the church is trying to accomplish, and if there's any problem I think should be addressed first, it's this one. No, I am not at all trying to downplay the concerns of left-leaning Christians. They have reasons and feelings that they are angry with the outcome, so that's an issue to be addressed for sure. But priority should be given to taking this Christian civil war offline.

I've talked about the power of what we say in another post. In this day and age of social media, word travels fast. Really fast. In less than 3 days, my neutral post about MKBHD received more than 140,000 views on Twitter.

That could have easily been a post bashing fundamentalist Christians for electing Trump.

Ask yourself, what is your end goal?
Do you want 100,000+ people seeing you perpetuate a Christian civil war?
Is voicing your concern online worth the cost of creating a further rift between the church and those who do not yet know Christ?

There's a lot of power in what we have to say. The tongue, indeed, is mightier than the sword these days. Please take these words to heart. I understand that some of you may be concerned about election's outcome, but taking to social media only stands to do more harm than good for the church as a whole. I think that all of us Christians, regardless of political leanings, can agree on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack