Skip to main content

Five Ways That Currency ≠ Money

Follow my blog with Bloglovin I'm not an uber-Hunger Games fan. I tried reading the books and honestly couldn't just get into them; however, I did enjoy the movies quite a bit. While they weren't nearly as quotable as the Harry Potter series, there was one quote that did stick out to me. You'll have to forgive me since I don't remember the precise context, but at one point in Catching Fire, the character Finnick Odair remarks to Katniss that he isn't necessarily interested in money. Rather, he is interested in trading secrets.

That quote stuck with me because I think that when people think about "getting paid", they instantly think about money and that anything that doesn't involve money isn't "getting paid".

I think that line of thinking isn't necessarily correct, and let's get into why.

Let's begin with a little reality check to keep ourselves grounded. Money is great. This post isn't designed to put down the idea of getting paid in the traditional sense at all. We live in a society where we trade money for goods / services, so if you walk away from this post thinking you can escape that... Sorry. It's just not possible.

But this doesn't mean you should do nothing for free, either. Oftentimes, people will refuse to do stuff unless they are getting paid money, and honestly, that's poor thinking, literally. Finnick Odair was aware of that in the Hunger Games series. Instead of working for money, he worked for secrets.

Of course, working for secrets is pretty impractical (read: dumb) in our modern society, but I'm not really convinced there is such thing as "free" work. You will always get "paid" in some form of "currency", and that currency will always manifest itself differently. Here are a handful of ways in which you get "paid" from your hard work:

1. Experience. I think it's Malcolm Gladwell that says you become an expert on a subject by practicing it for 10,000 hours. Experience begets improvement, and depending on what you're gaining experience in, you might be able to monetize it some day.

2. Reputation. This is especially true in volunteer situations. If you do good things for other people, they will pay you back in the form of a good reputation. And just like with experience, you may even monetize your reputation. (Example: My wife was a volunteer at the church in the kids area, and because she had such a good reputation as a volunteer, she was ASKED to join the staff when her position opened.

3. Credibility. This one goes hand-in-hand with reputation. When you do hard work in a given area, people notice, and generally, that makes you a more credible source in that field of expertise. And again, credibility can lead to a job that pays you real money.

4. Good vibes. Sometimes, working for others for free is rewarding in its own capacity. This is especially relevant to volunteer situations. When you help others, it makes you feel good, and that is a form of currency in and of itself.

5. Entertainment. Along with the last one, it's possible that the work you do is genuinely fun. For me, I genuinely enjoy creating my graphic designs. It often takes several hours to create a new design, but there have been times when I purposefully chose to work on a piece of graphic art instead of playing a video game.

Those are just five ways in currency doesn't necessarily mean earning money. One thing that I want to point out to you is that several of these tracks led to getting money. So you might be working "for free" right now, but it's possible that that free work can turn into money.

Ask any comedian that. The big names of today will tell you that they clearly didn't start on the stage of Madison Square Garden. It started by working the small, open mic nights and crusty bars and didn't make a penny. But you know what they did gain? Experience, reputation, and credibility. (And, arguably, entertainment.)

The next time you are asked to do "free" work, keep this post in mind.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack