Skip to main content

Even More Tips for Running an Effective Meeting

I'll be honest: I'm kind of surprised I'm writing another one of these posts. I have already written two sets of five tips on how to run more effective meetings (that can be found here and here), and I keep finding even more tips. Apparently, there is no end to handing out meeting tips!

Without delaying anymore, let's just get into it.

1. Avoid lunch time and Friday meetings. If you want to get and keep somebody's attention, putting a meeting around a lunch time or on a Friday is a surefire way to NOT accomplish that goal. People obviously have their minds elsewhere. I recently sat in a lunch time meeting on a Friday, and by the end of the meeting, there were glazed looks across the room. (You could arguably add Monday mornings to this block, too.)

2. KISS: Keep it simple, stupid. Perhaps one of my favorite quotes from The Office primarily because it is so practical. The more information you try to jam in a meeting, the less attention you're going to retain. The brain can only take in so much, so when people are trying to process one idea, you're already off on another. Much like with the first tip, people who can't keep up don't even try to keep up at all. Keep your information as concise as possible.

3. Avoid complex visuals. This one really goes hand-in-hand with that last tip. I've seen folks try to demonstrate things via extremely complex diagrams, and it just doesn't work. One reason is rather simple: they are literally too small to read. If an attendee has to squint to read something, I consider that an automatic failure because they're not listening to you. They're trying to make out what the diagram says. And what they're trying to read may not be important at all.

4. Be specific with your audience engagement. Most people end a presentation by asking if anybody has any questions. These people might have good intentions, but if you have a glazed over audience, they probably won't respond at all. This can be a problem later on if you find out they did have concerns but didn't share them because they were so over-loaded with information. Instead of asking the general, "Does anybody have any questions?" question, be more specific. Ask what the audience does or does not like about a specific piece. Ask how they feel about a certain process. Any question that digs further than that very surface "Questions anybody?" kind of question.

5. Allot time for breaks in longer meetings. If you know a meeting is going to run for longer than an hour, it's probably a good idea to purposefully schedule time for 10- or 15-minute breaks during the meeting. As a guy who drinks a lot of water, I can tell you nothing pulls my attention away faster than needing to use the restroom. I'm sure a lot of people will agree with that sentiment!

That concludes another set of five tips! I guess I shouldn't say this is the final post in this series since I clearly think of more as time passes. What would you add to this list? Let me know down in the comments, and I'll maybe write another of these posts in the future.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.