Skip to main content

Adulting 101: Ten Things Not to Say at a Holiday Get-Together

The holidays are just around the corner, and you know what that means: seeing the friends and family you love and adore.

Well, mostly.

We all know people that we have to see but really don't want to see. Family members who ask for money. (Thank goodness I've not had that problem.) Friends who talk endlessly about their woes. (Been there.) Coworkers who share a little too much about their personal life. (Always a disaster.)

Just for the fun of it, here are ten things you should probably not say at any holiday get-together! And yes, I do have personal experience with some of these. 

  1. Talking anything about the election this year, good or bad. Politics pretty much always make for bad discussions, and this year only amplifies that fact.
  2. Asking that boyfriend and girlfriend who are already living together when they're finally going to get hitched
  3. Asking the 20-something who graduated from college 3 years ago when they're going to get their own place and move out of their parents' basement / garage / attic / womb
  4. Bringing up the fact that an attendee is still single, especially if the get-together is already populated with couples. (Bonus negative points if the single person is older and divorced!)
  5. Asking a person who clearly hasn't been to church in a long time when the last time they went to church was
  6. Divulging in gossip about another coworker at an office party
  7. Discussing the amount any gift costs (You're pretty much guaranteed to upset the person who clearly bought the cheapest gift because that's all they can afford.)
  8. Asking how so-and-so's project / business is going when it was clearly destined to fail when they first told you about it
  9. Bringing up what you think is a funny story from the past but runs the risk of offending somebody (Case in point, pretty much any time I bring up the fact that my mom accidentally forgot to attend my first grade Mother's Day Tea)
  10. Asking about another person's significant other if you aren't sure whether or not they are still together
This list is truly never-ending, but it should at least kick start your thinking on what might be topics you want to steer clear of. What would you add to this list? Let me know down in the comments!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Everybody is in Sales

For as much as I love the show The Office , there was one aspect of it that would make me cringe any time I thought about it too much: what business those folks were in. This fictional company, Dunder Mifflin, sold companies paper and paper-related products on a recurring basis via a customer relations salesperson. Yup, this is what your favorite characters Jim and Dwight did every single day. Because when I think about a titillating career in selling something I'm passionate about, paper and paper-related products are the first thing I think about. ...I'm clearly dripping with sarcasm.

Thoughts on the Frank Ocean Controversy

For those of you unaware, Frank Ocean dropped his new album, Blonde, independently, free from record labels as he has done in the past. Moreover, Ocean has made an agreement that the music streaming service Apple Music currently has the exclusive rights to stream the new album. As The Verge is now reporting , one of the most major record labels, Universal Media Group (UMG), is now reporting that they will no longer allow exclusive deals with any music streaming services. The Verge ends their article with a very appropriate question since it was one I was asking myself the entire time... Why do recording artists even need a label anymore?

...But I'll Be Sticking with Apple (Part 2)

As much as the Google Pixel and its implications for Google's future in hardware exites me, I honestly can't see myself moving away from Apple. At least, not for a very long time. There are still several reasons I am tied to Apple. These may or may not apply to you, too. Let's get into the specific reasons why I'll be sticking with Apple.

The Problem with Hierarchical Hiring

I browse LinkedIn pretty often, and the category of things that appears most on that main feed are inspirational quotes by inspirational leaders. Folks like Richard Branson and Simon Sinek appear most often. More specifically, the quotes have a central theme to them: companies need to hire good people.  For example, one of the latest quotes I've seen on my feed include this one from Tina Fey: "In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and getting out of their way." That's a great sentiment, but is that really reinforced in reality?

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.