Skip to main content

Keep Around the Person Who Will Tell You That You're Getting Fat

As you're probably aware, I recently started a new role as a business architect for State Farm. It was a big move for me, and one that I was naturally proud of. I was excited to share this big news with my family and did so immediately via a group text to all of them. Being a caring family, they all responded kindly.

But I really haven't heard much praise or approval from them since. Naturally, they're more excited about the baby coming, but it almost surprises me how little they've talked about this career move with me.

Don't get me wrong, my family absolutely does care about me, but this isn't wholly out of the norm for them. A lot of this stems from my mom who always pushes us to be better. If I got all A's and one B on a report card, she'd focus on why that last B isn't also an A. Again, this isn't because she's a mean person but rather that she wants the best for us.

We all need that person around us. If we're getting fat, we need them to tell us we're getting fat.

We very much live in a time where we accept everything about an individual because that is the "loving" thing to do. I would contest that that is almost the opposite: being better doesn't mean not changing. This is a topic that I could go on for days. If we love the people we want to be better, we will encourage them to change.

We're doing ourselves a disservice if we only surround ourselves with yes-men. I use the title of this post as a joke, but we do need somebody that is willing to keep us accountable. Somebody who is willing to say "Hey, I think you can do X better" or "Your life is veering a little off course." If we surround ourselves with people who only reinforce our negative behaviors, then we will continue to do those negative behaviors.

The inverse of that looks like this: If we surround ourselves with people who keep our behaviors in check, then we can grow by reinforcing positive behavior and tamping down negative behavior.

That's it for this post, folks. I could go on and on, but trying to keep my own advice in check, I'm going to leave it here for now. Find an accountability partner, coach, or mentor. I think you'll find it to be one of the best decisions you can ever make.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack