Skip to main content

Is There Magic behind Affirmations?

I'm quickly becoming a huge fan of Scott Adams. Best known for his comic strip, Dilbert, I have run into his other work twice now that I've found very fascinating. The first was his assertion that Donald Trump used hypnotic persuasion techniques to capture the presidency, and I covered that in a previous post.

The second interesting idea is analyzed in his interview with Tim Ferriss. I am currently reading Ferriss's new book, Tools of Titans (review in progress), and Ferriss mentions Scott Adams' second idea briefly, which prompted me to immediately listen to the full podcast interview.

What's that second idea?


In short, it is the idea that affirming your desires them more prone to becoming a reality. Having practiced this himself, Adams noted that he would assert his affirmations by writing them down at least ten times per day. For example, prior to his success with Dilbert, he would write down something along the lines "I will become a famous cartoonist."

Of course, you could chalk this one instance up as coincidence; however, Adams asserted that he has done this numerous times. One of them was spooky specific: he once affirmed himself that he would score within the top 94th percentile on the GMAT test. Lo and behold, it happened, right at that exact number.

Adams himself admits he has no rational explanation why this has worked. He does pose one theory. I can't remember what it's precisely called, but basically, it's the same principle behind why we still hear our name spoken in a room of crowded people. We are primed to react when our name is spoken, regardless of the distractions.

In the same way, then, Adams proposes that our brains may "re-wire" themselves to be more selective of anything to positively influence whatever our affirmation is.

It's a really interesting idea, and because the barrier of entry costs nothing more than a pen and paper, I'm going to give it a whirl myself. I'm not going to tell you now what my affirmation is because I honestly don't want to be embarrassed if it falls through! If it does come true, I'll write a follow up post to this one documenting my findings in conjunction to Adams's theory. I'd also encourage you all to give it a try, too!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

The Relevance of Sunk Cost and Opportunity Cost to Learning

When I grew up, my mother told me about this club. It was a ritzy club that had very exclusive, prestigious members. It was praised by the masses as something that everybody wanted to be in. Every day, she would encourage me to do everything I could to join. Fortunately, membership had a relatively low barrier of entry, but it required an ongoing activity. One that would be the death of me, but my mother assured me it was worth it. The name of the club?

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.