Skip to main content

A Symbol of Hope

Psychology is an interesting thing. Interesting in the fact that it doesn't always align with what seems like common sense.

We, as humans, are more apt to act out the the experiences of our past than to avoid them. The son of the alcoholic dad becomes the alcoholic dad. The girl who was raped sexually abuses a child as an adult.

Naturally, it's hard for me to understand because I have not lived through this. In my mind, I would think that one would do everything they can to avoid becoming the monster they once encountered. Sadly, that's not true in many cases.

There is good news, though: we are not condemned to make the same choices as those who have wronged us. We can take a stand and choose to be better.

Christmas is as good a time as any to talk about this. For many, it's a joyous season, but for equally as many, it can be very difficult. Where people are being merry, people are bitter that they can't share in that same merriment. The season may only serve as a reminder of those painful scars.

Please allow me to remind you what this season is about and why we are joyous. We take this time to remember the birth of Jesus Christ, who has come to wipe the tears from your eyes and welcome you into His family. Eventually, that baby grows up to be a man who dies for our sins as well.

Christmas is a symbol of hope. Where we were inevitably doomed to our own sins, Christ comes in this humble, flesh form to rescue us and adopt us into His family. Our earthly families or friends may have failed us, but we can find love and connection with Christ's family.

I know you've probably been burned by the church, but I still want to extend an invitation to you to reconsider your faith. You don't have to be alone. The church is not perfect, but I think you won't regret this decision. 

When it comes to our hurts and pains, we have a choice: pass it up or pass it down. You may not think you can pass your problems down to the next generation, but psychology tells us otherwise. I think that, deep down, nobody wants anybody to experience that same pain we've faced. Make the choice to end the pain here, both for your own sake and for the sake of ones you love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.