Skip to main content

Adulting 101: Dealing with the Necessary Evil Known as Credit

Cash is king.

I have to start of the post this way because I'm not a fan of credit, especially credit cards. It enables people to do dumb things with their money (or lack thereof), and people drive themselves into piles and piles of debt. It's a hole you can very quickly dig yourself into.

That said, credit is a necessary part of life. Albeit, an annoying one. There's no such thing as "good credit", only bad credit, and bad credit is like that annoying relative who reminds you about that dumb thing you did at every holiday event even though it took place decades ago.




Before we begin, a bit of a disclaimer: I'm not a professional in this field at all. I've never worked at a bank, and my educational background definitely isn't in finance. I'm just an average guy who has gone through some things over the past few years and don't want you to experience the same pitfalls as me.

So, a little bit of my backstory and why I find credit to be really annoying. I have really great (and relatively wealthy) parents. After scholarships, they paid for my undergraduate schooling and car, leaving me no reason to have any sort of loan. Coming out of undergrad and looking to move to Bloomington with my soon-to-be wife, the landlords of the apartments we were looking at naturally wanted to do a credit check to see that I wasn't bogus with my money.

But I kept getting denied.

Knowing next to nothing about credit at the time, I quickly found out that basically had no credit history, and no credit history might as well be synonymous with bad credit. Luckily, my wife did have some student loans and a decent credit score, so she was able to sign the lease on our behalf. Knowing that we would eventually want to get in a house and have to get a home loan, I began my stint of getting the credit situation figured out.

Naturally, it seemed like the easiest, simplest thing would be to get a credit card. Surprisingly, for a person with zero credit history, it's much harder than you think. I got denied left and right, even by my own bank. (Which was incredibly frustrating because my wife and I, being savers, had thousands in our savings account.)

That's when I learned about the "magic" (sarcasm) of a secured credit card. As much as I like to poke fun at it, this little guy actually helped me out in a big way. Secured credit cards are aimed at folks like me, with no prior credit history, or folks who are in a "rebuilding" phase in their lives. A bank requires a security deposit of something like $50 and offers a super small line of credit, something like $100. As you prove yourself over time, they will continually up that line of credit, so I think mine now is like $700. (I honestly have no idea what mine is since I never use that card.)

Like I said in the beginning, I am not a fan of credit because people can incur debt really quickly, especially with credit cards. And credit cards have exorbitant interest rates, so I genuinely don't understand why people use them. It's common knowledge these things are evil, right?

So why deal with credit at all? Big purchases. And I mean BIG purchases. (While I can see why people would get an auto loan, my wife and I pay cash for our vehicles. Granted, my first car was given to me and had a high trade-in value.) I'm mainly thinking home loans. In a perfect world, we would save for our homes and pay them in cash, but it's not particularly feasible in a financial sense.

This is because we all need places to live. And unless we're living with our parents, we're paying rent toward a condo / apartment. That's pretty much money down the drain because you're not building any sort of equity. Rent money is never coming back whereas you'll at least garner some value from selling your house at the point when you move.

Anyway, this is the point where I feel the need to reiterate that I'm not a financial adviser, but I'm pretty sure most financial advisers would agree with me: pay as much as you can with cash.

Let's recap with some final bullet points:
  • Credit cards are a really quick way to dig yourselves into debt; avoid them
  • You have to have some sort of credit history when signing a lease, car loan, or home loan
  • If you have no credit history, a secured credit card is a great way to kick start that
  • With the exception of major purchases like a home or vehicle, avoid incurring any debt that would negatively impact your credit score (aka pay cash for everything!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack