Skip to main content

Bring Your "A" Game Everyday

In a recent podcast episode of the Adam Carolla Show, host Adam Carolla interviewed Bryan Cranston, Megan Mullally, and James Franco following a screening of their new movie, Why Him? Being a comedy podcast, Cranston and Mullally were more than willing to go along with Carolla's antics. They were very positive and upbeat, and I could tell the crowd was enthralled with them.

Franco, on the other hand, was... disengaged. I'm trying to reserve judgment of the actor since I don't know what he's like on a regular basis. Maybe he was just having an off night. But it was pretty clear he was just not into it. His answers to Carolla's questions were pretty straightforward, and Franco took no action to put any comedic spin on anything he said.

That's a problem.


Again, I don't want to judge Franco on whether or not he is this way all the time, but that shouldn't matter. While I'm trying to reserve my judgments, I am 100% sure Carolla's other fans thought Franco was lame, to say the least. How can I be so sure? Check out this post over at Reddit. One of the top comments (upvoted 23 times when this post goes live) reads like this:


"Damn, James Franco is kind of a dud. Bryan Cranston was great as usual, and Megan Mullally was pretty decent."


I would say that is a very fair statement, especially considering how nasty people can get in the online realm!

My point is that we never know who is watching us, so we always need to put our best foot forward. It's definitely a recurring theme here on this blog, this idea of being aware of your presence. In our digital age, stuff gets out there fast.

What Franco may have failed to realize is that while there were probably less than 200 people at this movie screening, there were thousands at home listening to the podcast the next day. He certainly didn't crush his career, but Franco almost assuredly lost fans from that interview.

Keep this in mind, friends: you don't know who's watching you. You don't know how far your actions will stretch. It might be a small slip up like this or a career-ender like with the dentist who shot Cecil the Lion. Our actions have lasting effects, so be mindful of them always. And bring your "A" game every single day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack