Skip to main content

It's a Small World After All

When I was a junior in high school, I dated a girl in her freshman year. She was an interesting gal in the fact that she was big into horror movies. It so happened that weeks after we started dating, the third entry in the Saw series (Saw III) was just coming into theaters. Given that she was too young to purchase a rated-R movie ticket herself, she asked me to take her on a date to see the film. I wasn't excited about seeing it myself, but hey, when you're 17, you'll do anything to impress a girl.

I knew my parents would be mad with this prospect, so I didn't tell them. I can't remember the lame excuse I used to not say I was taking my girlfriend to see a rated-R movie. In my brain, I thought there was no way they'd figure out my con.

Wrong. The next day, my mom found out what I had done, and I was immediately (and rightfully) grounded.

The interesting thing is that, to this day, I have no idea how they found out. My parents nor my siblings were at the theater, and I don't recall seeing anybody there from our church. Still, they had eyes out there.

I talk a lot about how we need to be careful with our digital presence on things like social media, and I'll extend that beyond the technological realm: our actions in the "real world" can be further reaching than we expect.

The story I shared above was more silly and light-hearted, but allow me to share another more weighty example. My wife and I know a specific man on different levels. Our association to this same person is more of a casual acquaintance than a close friendship. I know him as a fairly nice guy, and I think most people would agree he's a generally helpful guy.

My wife, who knows him on a wholly different level, has had a wholly different interaction with him. She knows him as a callous, impatient person. Because I trust my wife's judgment, I know she is not lying in her description about him.

Trying to be fair to this individual and weighing in both accounts, I still lean toward that he's probably a nice guy most of the time, but my wife's account of him undoubtedly taints that picture a little bit. I can't think of him in the same way.

Our interactions with different audiences can influence audiences in ways we can't possibly imagine. If you try to be a nice person to all your coworkers but word gets out that you treat baristas like crap, that news gets out there. It doesn't if you don't see your coworkers at that Starbucks. Just like how my mom magically found out about me going to see Saw III, your coworkers can magically find out about negative behavior to baristas.

I suppose it should go without saying, but I'm going to throw it out anyway: treat everybody with equal kindness. Obviously, it's the right thing to do, and I hope you see now it's important for your own reputation's sake.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack