Skip to main content

Open Your Eyes

When I started this blog, I made sure I was very intentional about what I wanted this blog to be. I even dedicated the title of this blog to that idea. LYEATT: Leave Your Ego at the Threshold (Door).

I don’t know everything. Heck, I don’t know a lot of things. In all the time I have spent thinking, I have come to only one single idea that should be universally embraced by everybody: we, individually, have no way of possessing all the knowledge in the world.

That may seem obvious, but I’m convinced that this lies at the heart of almost all the world’s problems. Our narcissism leads us to craft our own narratives and focus on that which appeals to and feeds that narrative.

If you think I’m talking about religion or social matters, you’re only partially right. But really, this applies to everything. It is EXTREMELY applicable to the business world, too.

Because what happens when we fixate our minds on a single idea?

The thinking stops.

The only thinking that is done is that which fuels our narratives. Our minds are closed to new paths and new ideas that may lead to new enlightenment our minds never would have thought of on our own.

In what ways are you closing your mind?

Is your business on an inevitable downward spiral as new technology has made you obsolete?
Are the processes in your organization that are causing more harm than good?
Have you let one or two bad experiences with the church close yourself off from trying again?
Is your leadership creating an environment that fosters fear instead of creativity?

Admittedly, this form of thinking is scary. Opening our minds to the unknown inevitably opens our minds to all the bad things we can think.

But in today’s world, we don’t have a choice. I somewhat touched upon this idea in my post about Frank Ocean. Major record labels are likely on that inevitable downward spiral because an independent artist like Ocean demonstrated he can execute a major deal with Apple Music without them. New technology and communication channels have radically changed the way we used to do business, and if we hope to continue to succeed, we have no choice but to embrace new ideas.

Again, ask yourself the ways in which you are closing your mind.


The time to open your eyes was yesterday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack