Skip to main content

Five Albums to Listen to This Autumn

There's no doubt in my mind that autumn is my favorite season. I love everything about it. Of course, there are the things like cooler weather and pumpkin-flavored treats, but it goes beyond that for me. Falling at the end of the year (pun not intended), autumn signals an end of sorts in a number of ways. The year is coming to a close, so I find it as a time of reflection. Nostalgia is a very appropriate word here.

Anyway, music is something very important to me, and I purposefully don't latch onto a single genre of music since I since there is a time and place for everything. The fall is no exception, so I wanted to share five albums you should give a listen to this autumn. I'll even take it a step further and recommend a specific song from each album, too.

Without further ado, let's get into it.

1. Small Steps, Heavy Hooves - Dear and the Headlights: And speaking of nostalgia, boy, does this album have that written all over it. The vocalist is unconventional in the fact that you probably wouldn't say he's a good singer, but the emotional range conveyed in his voice is amazing. I love their selection of instruments, from an acoustic guitar to electric organ to slightly out-of-tune piano. The band does an excellent job at starting a song off slow, building the emotion to a peak, the cleverly returning back to a slow end to tie the song off with a nice, neat bow. It's too bad this band is no longer together because I can't recommend this album or their sophomore album, Drunk Like Bible Times, enough.

Check out this song: Hallelujah

2. Pixie Queen - Anthony Green: Definitely the newest album on this list since it was released less then a month ago. Okay, I'll confess: I actually would recommend Anthony Green's album Avalon over this one, but since it's new, I wanted to share it here anyway. (And really, you can't go wrong with anything Anthony Green puts out.) The lyrics within Green's solo albums are generally associated around his wife and kids, and this album is no exception. In the song Will It Be, Green laments the fact that he can't watch his boys grow up while he's out touring on the road. You can practically feel the emotional in the lyrics. I love Green's vocal style, and his pronounced use of acoustic guitar and piano are also exceptional.

Check out this song: A Reason to Stay

3. Only Way to Be Alone - Good Old War: Easily the most "upbeat" album on this list. This album is perfect to listen to on a crisp, clear morning driving with the windows down. The trio of Keith Goodwin (Good), Tim Arnold (Old), and Dan Schwartz (War) melds together an excellent harmony of vocals along with catchy folk melodies. Plus, Anthony Green makes a guest appearance on the track Weak Man. It's like getting a two-for-one!

Check out this song: Coney Island

4. Wildlife - La Dispute: I really, really struggled putting album on my list because La Dispute is EASILY the most divisive band I know. Either you absolutely love them or abhor them. I literally don't think there is a middle ground here. Clearly, I fall in the camp that loves them. This is also the darkest album on this list. The songs within this album follow a narrator trying to make sense of his own life amidst the heartache and pain other people have gone through. This includes a father talking about loving his schizophrenic son that tried killing him (Edward Benz, 27 Times) to an English sharing her faith journey as her son battled and died from cancer (I See Everything). It is a really beautiful album but undoubtedly extremely heavy. If you do listen to it, I wouldn't recommend doing it at work or something because it might have a profound effect on your emotional state. Seriously. But do check it out some evening when you have some time available.

(Bonus: At one point, La Dispute put out a 1-hour audio commentary about the writing of Wildlife entitled Confessions. I'm sure it's out on the Internet somewhere, and it is most definitely worth listening to if you appreciated Wildlife.)

Check out this song: St. Paul Missionary Baptist Church Blues

5. Illinois - Sufjan Stevens: I have no shame in saying that this is my favorite album of all time, and in my opinion, it is equally appropriate for the autumn season. Stevens excellently uses a wide range of instruments, from banjos to flutes to pianos and more. I am admittedly biased, too, since many songs on this album are directly tied to elements of the state of Illinois. Even more to the point, the song Decatur, Or, Round of Applause For Your Stepmother seriously resonates with me as a native of Decatur. (Sufjan even nails the fact that Decatur is home of the Krekel's chicken car!)

While most of the songs are more upbeat, there are some songs like Casmir Pulaski Day that are so heart wrenching that I still can barely make it through the song without having to suppress a tear. The album also features a lot of Christian elements which also resonate with me a lot. Really, this entire album feels just perfect for me as a homegrown resident of Illinois, and I would expect many of you might feel the same after listening to it.

Check out this song: Casmir Pulaski Day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.