Skip to main content

Competing Love Claims

I got called un-Christian today.

Now, I'm purposefully going to conceal the details of the person and situation because I do not seek to shame him, but I still tell this story because I learned a big lesson today that I think we can all learn from. (I will share that this was not a work-related situation, and I only share that in case my employers read this post.)

This person approached me about doing two tasks for his benefit that I personally did not think are all that important. He actually pulled me away from another important task I was he saw me working from (for my wife) to explain his concern. The conversation quickly devolved into an argument where he accused me of being un-Christian.

I'm not going to lie: I did not handle that situation the best. At the time, I was infuriated, and while I didn't fully backlash on him, I was definitely not nice about it. To that end, I do regret how that conversation went. I wish I would have kept in mind what I'm about to share below.

I was really hurt by his accusation of being un-Christian. I have really strived, especially lately, to elevate everybody around me. While he and I are not close by any means, I have no ill will toward him. I have always treated him kindly in our minimal interactions.

As I dwelled on the conversation the rest of the morning, I was reminded of what my old professor at Lincoln Christian University, Eric Teoro, used to tell me. He talked about this idea of "competing love claims". To summarize, we as humans only have a finite capacity to love people. I can't (nor should I) love another woman more than my wife, nor will I ever love another child as much as I will love my baby girl about to be born.

Teoro stressed, then, that because we have this finite capacity to love, then we should be aware of our competing love claims and act upon them justly. In other words, I should not feel guilty about devoting more time to doing things for my wife than for this person.

With this in mind, I can now approach the situation differently. He asked me to do two tasks. Let's analyze the time it would take to complete the task versus the value added.

Task 1
  • Value added to me and my wife: Low to medium
  • Value added to him: High
  • Duration to complete task: 20 minutes

Task 2
  • Value added to me and my wife: None (arguably negative value instead)
  • Value added to him: Low
  • Duration to complete task: At least one full Saturday of work

Looking at it this way, I can definitely do task 1, and hopefully he'll be happy with that. On the other hand, I definitely don't have the time for task 2, and since it doesn't add any significant value to anybody, I shouldn't feel guilty about not doing it.

The part that's sad to me is that the damage is already done. I don't think there will be any mending to that relationship, and that has seriously bummed me out all day.

I genuinely wish I could go back and do the situation over again. I know he probably still would not have been happy with the outcome, but I at least could have walked away knowing that I did all I could to help him.


I hope this idea adds value to you. It is something I definitely hope to keep in mind myself if I find myself in this situation again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack