Skip to main content

...But I'll Be Sticking with Apple (Part 2)

As much as the Google Pixel and its implications for Google's future in hardware exites me, I honestly can't see myself moving away from Apple. At least, not for a very long time. There are still several reasons I am tied to Apple. These may or may not apply to you, too.

Let's get into the specific reasons why I'll be sticking with Apple.

1. Apple has a more developed ecosystem of hardware. For the time being, Apple has an ecosystem of hardware that, in my opinion, far outshines what Google can offer. We have the Google Pixel right now, but there isn't a Google-made smartwatch, tablet, or laptop yet. Sure, there are other Android / Chrome products available, but they are spread across multiple companies and not nearly as tightly integrated as Apple's hardware ecosystem. I do foresee Google developing more products in house, so I do expect this to be resolved in the future. (But a LONG way into the future.)

2. Google has a problem on their hands by separating features across multiple pieces of software. This one kind of baffles me because I genuinely don't understand the need for separated software. For example, Google recently launched Allo: a messaging service that integrates the new Google Assistant. Why wasn't this integrated into Hangouts...? And the same with Duo. There are cool features in all three of these applications, but I have no idea why Google just didn't bundle them into one. To that end, Apple has done a better job at integrating things like this into applications like iMessage. Again, this is something Google can fix in the future, but it'll probably be a while yet.

3. Apple has buried me by locking my purchased content to their ecosystem. This one annoys me the most because I don't foresee this problem ever going away. For literally the last decade, I have purchased movies, music, apps, and more via iTunes, and I risk losing all that in moving to Android. I don't know what else to say about this, but this is EASILY the biggest reason I probably will never move to Google's ecosystem.

4. All my friends and family have iPhones. If there is one thing Apple has done really well, it has been creating a community around their platforms. iMessage alone is a big indicator of this. It's super obvious on group chats when an Android user is on there. If you are an Android user, you are effectively an outsider, and nobody wants to be an outsider. Sure, Android has gained traction, and my hope is that Google's own hardware will push that Android community to be equal to Apple's. It's going to take a lot of work to get there, though.

5. Google already put their best stuff on iOS. This is arguably the best and worst business decision Google could have made. Their notable mantra "Don't Be Evil" seemingly compels them to do what they think is right, and apparently they thought putting their software on iOS is right. I'm very grateful for this, but now... I don't really have a reason to switch over. Conversely, Apple hasn't put things like iMessage on Android, so I only stand to lose more than I gain in switching to Android. The only thing I think will help the issue is if Google starts locking things like Google Maps or Hangouts to Android, and I just don't think that's something they'll ever do.

So there you have it. It will be really interesting to see how the Google Pixel will usher in new hardware in the future. Will it be enough to topple Apple? Only time will tell. On the flip side, time also allows Apple to continue to innovate and solidify their own platform ecosystem. Can Google catch up? Maybe. Time will tell!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.