Skip to main content

Key Competencies #1: Gratitude

It's no secret that I think that the ultimate key to be successful in everything (especially business) is humility, but of course, humility is nothing if it stands alone. A person can be humble, but if they are quiet and introverted, people will walk all over them.

Recently, I've been thinking a lot about my life as well as the lives of other super successful individuals to see other key competencies they all have in common. This post will be the first in a series God-knows-how-many posts where we'll take a look at some key competencies that you may or may not expect a leader to hold, and we'll start with one you might not expect: gratitude.
While many ideas begin from something shared by a titan of some industry, this one actually comes from a faith-based book, and to be honest, I cannot remember for the life of me what the book was or who the author was! Anyway, the author's general idea was that true happiness begins with being grateful about everything. Obviously, the idea was Christ-centered, but I think that gratitude has big implications on everybody regardless of faith.

The one thing I do remember about this guy is that he was eternally grateful about everything. If you think you're grateful for stuff, this guy's level of gratefulness puts everybody to shame. Sure, I'm thankful for things like my house and my car, but this guy was thankful for dust.

Who is thankful for dust??

Anyway, my point of this post is not necessarily that I think we should be grateful to that level but rather that we become better about expressing gratitude.

Why?

Gratitude really goes hand-in-hand with humility. Regardless of scale, showing gratitude is essentially a person's way of telling another person, "Hey, you did something for me that I appreciated, so you should feel good about yourself for doing that." It's encouraging.

Think about it this way: do you thank somebody for doing something you DIDN'T want them to do? No! You don't want to encourage poor behavior, and thanking a person for poor behavior reinforces in that person's mind that they should keep doing what they're doing. This is why people continue to hold doors to this day. The behavior has been reinforced by the simple expression of gratitude in the words "Thanks" or "Thank you".

(Funny side story about that: holding doors can get really creepy if you wait for somebody a fair distance away. Case in point: some of the guys would wait holding the cafeteria door open if they so much as saw a girl come out of the girls dorm. Which, mind you, is a good quarter mile away. If they could see as far as the horizon, they'd hold that door. Girls did not find it as flattering as they did.)

I don't really know how to describe it, but gratitude creates some sort of solidarity between you and another person. I have found that people tend to be more helpful to gracious people time and time again. A good example of this is my wife. People tend to do a lot of stuff for her because she is always super thankful to them. (Granted, she does a lot for other people, too. Check out this former post for more you can learn from her.)

Keep this in mind as you return to work this week. Express gratitude for things others do for you in a genuine way. I think you'll find the reciprocation of kindness to be more than you might expect.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack