Skip to main content

The Ironic Timing of My Last Post and the Galaxy Note 7

A few days ago, I wrote a post about how corporations need to be mindful of not holding too fast to a legal mindset because it may end up doing more harm than good. When I wrote that post, I did not have the Galaxy Note 7 in mind at all, but that post has huge implications on that issue.

For those of you not aware, the Galaxy Note 7 has been plagued by a battery issue that is causing cellphones to overheat and literally explode. Samsung eventually issued a recall to provide consumers with a "safe" version of the phone only to find out that some of these "safe" versions are, too, blowing up.

The internet has been abuzz about the situation from start to finish, prompting many internet memes at the phone's expense like the one below:


But even though people have been online talking about it 24/7, Samsung really hasn't had a strong presence in these forums. I would imagine that this is because, like my previous post discussed, they are focused on providing a legally-rounded answer rather than addressing the needs immediately.

This is made worse by the fact that Samsung was well aware of exploding "safe" phones and purposefully chose not to address it immediately. Check out this article from The Verge. Apparently, one consumer tried to make Samsung aware of his phone issues. They only responded asking if they could take the consumer's smartphone for "examination", but the consumer refused to give it up. Even worse, a Samsung representative inadvertently sent this text message to the consumer:

Just now got this. I can try and slow him down if we think it will matter, or we just let him do what he keeps threatening to do and see if he does it.

Whoa.

For a company being awfully quiet on the forums, this was the wrong thing to let get out to the general public.

As of this morning, Samsung has officially discontinued the Galaxy Note 7 but still has not issued a second recall. It will be interesting to see how this all unfolds, but for now, it seems as if what I wrote about in the last post may be already becoming true for Samsung. Let this serve as a lesson to all of us.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack