Skip to main content

The Long Game

There's no question that modern technology has radically changed the marketing playing field. Whereas platforms for advertising were limited to things like newspapers and TV commercials, there are hundreds of new platforms like Twitter, YouTube, and more.

This allowed also for a lower barrier of entry. It was only big businesses that were able to purchase commercial timeslots or magazine space. Sure, those mediums still exist and are viable to an extent, but the average guy off the street is now equipped with many of the same abilities to market that are available to big businesses. It doesn't cost at all to create an Instagram account, and companies like Wix help regular people make pretty sweet looking websites for pennies on the dollar.

With all these changes in marketing, does that mean the general philosophy behind marketing has changed? I think so, and the title of this post might give that away. Let's get into it.

So not only has new technology changed the marketing landscape for businesses, but it has also changed the game for customers. The Internet has opened a world of possibilities to customers that simply wasn't possible in the past.

For example, as I am typing this post, I am simultaneously trying to convince my wife to get a pair of white-framed glasses. (Because they'd be so lit. Is "lit" the word the kids are using these days...?) Back in the olden days, the only marketing that probably would have been done is a major company like Lenscrafters putting out a 15- or 30-second commercial on some random TV station. Now, I can browse tons of websites with the help of Google.

There's the big kicker: In the past, companies had to use ads just to get attention. Now, they already have my attention. They just have to prove why they're worth it over their competitors.

And that's something, for better or worse, that couldn't have been done in the past. A business can't explain all of its intricacies in less than a minute. They have to get in, get out, and hope they leave a lasting impression.

But that's not really how consumers behave.

I'm using the example of buying a new pair of glasses right now, but I could have easily substituted any other product. Last week I ordered myself a new case for my iPhone. Because the barrier to entry is so low for these companies, there are literally thousands of options for iPhone cases. If, for some weird backwards reason I was trying to buy a smartphone in the 1980s, the only options probably would have been the ones that Apple sells themselves.

As consumers, we invest time in the things we care about.

iPhone cases to eyeglasses, I don't care to see a 30-second commercial about a single option. I want to see as much information as I can about all sorts of options. For the glasses I'm looking at, I want to see varying brands, the material the glasses are made out of, the precise dimensions, other customer reviews, and more. Certainly not something that can be encapsulated in a very short window of time!

In our new world of marketing, we need to focus on that "long game". Consumers recognize there is a world of options out there for them, and they need to be educated on products or services beyond the former bursts of ads.

Like everything, there's a fine balance to this. You can't handhold them through everything, start to finish, or else they will probably get bored. To that end, I would give them just enough of a taste to know what the end product as like and give them the option to be able to explore more if desired.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack