Skip to main content

"Money Only Makes You More of Who You Are"

On Christmas Day of 2002, 55-year-old Jack Whittaker was lucky enough to pick the winning numbers of the Powerball, earning him a whopping $314.9 million, the largest ever lottery win at the time. Jack was already doing pretty well for himself as the president of a construction company, so this windfall had pretty much set Jack for life.Shortly after his win, Jack seemed to have his life on track. He donated a good chunk of money to philanthropic efforts.

But this lifestyle wasn't to last. Things quickly took a turn for the worse.

Foolish with his money, Jack carried around enormous sums of cash in briefcases just because. Because of his reputation of carrying around this cash, he was robbed multiple times. Jack also lost a ton of money literally gambling it away. And if that isn't bad, it gets worse.

Jack's granddaughter, only 17 years old, was found dead (presumably murdered), wrapped in a tarp and dumped behind a van, reportedly with many drugs in her system. Several years later, Jack's daughter was found inexplicably dead, too. Having taken a lump sum, Jack found himself without a family and literally penniless after casinos and the government took the remainder of his money for avoiding his debts to them.

In 2007, Jack admitted in an interview with ABC: "I wish I'd torn that ticket up."
If you think I'm against having money, I'm not. Sure, you can easily Google lottery horror stories just like Jack's online, but I don't think it necessarily has to do with the money. I can't remember exactly who said it (I think it was Shark Tank's Daymond John), but the quote in the title of this post is so true: "Money only makes you more of who you are."

I think people look at money as the solution to their problems, and I can only very partially agree with that. Sure, money can do things like put food on the table. The problem persists and thrives, however, if the core of your being isn't right. It's not as if money makes you into a different person.

Opposite of the Jacks of the world, there are plenty of examples of people who have done a lot of great things as their wealth has grown. Bill Gates is a good example of this with his Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Another profound example of this is Mark Cuban. The guy is a billionaire, yet he continues to hustle because that is at the core of his being. He could easily close up shop today and live comfortably for the rest of his life.

Ask yourself: what are you in it for? Is it for the money? If so, what if somebody dropped a billion dollars on your front door step today? Would it affect what you aspire to today?

Align your goals to tangible aspirations, not money.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack