Skip to main content

Five More Tips for Running an Effective Meeting

Several weeks ago, I published a post on five tips for running an effective meeting and promised in there that I would be publishing another set of five tips soon. Well, "soon" came and went, and I completely forgot to publish my other five tips. Until now!

These tips are meant to work in conjunction with the previously suggested tips, so if you need a refresher on what those original tips were, click this hyperlink.

1. Document important action items. Oftentimes, you're not going to be able to solve everything in a meeting occurrence as people need to go figure stuff out. You want to make sure these things don't get lost in the weeds, so be sure to document important action items. Make sure it is clear who will be running with each particular action item, and cascade out that those action items via email shortly after the meeting's end.

2. Try to meet in a quiet space. This is especially important if you're teleconferencing with folks offsite. I don't know how phone technology works, but I can tell you from experience that those phones pick up everything, including background noise. Background noise can be a huge distraction regardless of whether or not you're on a teleconferencing line. If you can, try to wrangle down a quiet space like a conference room.

3. Start and end the meeting on time. "Respect" is the key idea around this tip. It doesn't necessarily hold importance for your meeting in and of itself, but the idea is to respect the time of the folks in your meeting as well as other meeting holders before and after your meeting. When you run over on time, you inevitably shorten somebody else's meeting time.

4. Ensure all technology is working prior to the start of the meeting. Whether you're messing with a projector or hooking up a teleconferencing line, technology is fickle. Nothing is more annoying or a waste of time than spending the first 5-10 minutes of your meeting trying to get your tech working. Take ten minutes prior to the meeting to get all your tech issues worked out, and if you can't get into your meeting room directly before, try finding any time a day or two before.

5. Ask if a meeting is really needed or if the scope of that meeting can be accomplished via something like email. This question is especially important to meeting series. When a series of meetings is originally set up, it is generally understood why that meeting series is needed, but as time goes on, the original purpose of the meeting tends to get lost or is simply not needed anymore as priorities change. In this case, I'd encouraging conferring amongst yourselves to determine if the scope of that meeting can be done via email or perhaps is just cancelled altogether.

That's it! Sorry for the delay in getting the rest of these out there. If you have any additional tips you think everybody else would benefit from, sound off in the comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.