Skip to main content

Pastors: Be Mindful of Your Social Media

Even though I don't work in a church, it's no secret that I have very close ties to the church. I attended undergrad at a Christian university, so most of my friends are pastors. My wife works at our church. I volunteer in two areas at the church. So it's pretty safe to say that me and the church are like PB&J. (I'll let you make the call whether I'm the peanut butter or the jelly.)

Let's face facts: in many senses, the church is a business. Granted, it's a nonprofit, but the church has employees that get paid and work in 40 hour increments. Most pastors I know, since they work Sundays, take off a Monday or a Friday each week, so it's not particularly as if they're working this vast amount of overtime.

The church is also very reflective of the government in the way it gets its income. The government gets its income from taxes, and the church gets its income from tithes and offerings, which is very synonymous with taxes. Despite the fact that church leaders are hired and not elected like most government officials, the way each group behaves on social media is radically different.

And frankly, I think pastors can take some lessons.

Let's use the example of former Illinois congressman Aaron Schock. Schock, who was very coincidentally indicted on 24 criminal accounts just yesterday (11/10/16), misused government funds to live a very lavish lifestyle. Amongst buying concert tickets, private flights, and expensive cufflinks, Schock spent tons of money renovating his congressional office to look like something out of the PBS show Downton Abbey.

How did Schock get caught? At least in part, social media.

He was dumb enough to post pictures of some of these dealings to Instagram. One report I found noted that government officials were able to indict Schock by using the location metadata provided from the Instagram photos Schock took and posted himself!

I'm going to ask an obvious question, but I ask it to make a point: Why did people care that Schock was using money this way? An obvious question begets an obvious answer: they weren't happy he was using taxpayer dollars this way when they should have gone to other things.

So let's apply this same formula to pastors. Pastors, who are paid by the "tax dollars" (tithes and offerings), are expected to use the funds in a way that honors the desires of the "taxpayers" (church members). So, like Aaron Schock, it would be stupid to post pictures of beaches or frequent retreats on social media, right?

Well... that's exactly what's happening.

Okay, let me back up for a minute here. I want to be fair and say that this isn't the case for most pastors I know. A lot of my personal friends are great people, and they pretty much never post anything that anybody would bat a negative eye at. But still, it happens. I'm not looking to shame any specific names, so I'll keep it anonymous.

And here's the thing, too: I like a lot of these people despite the fact they are doing this. I just don't think they realize what they're doing. That's probably because they are surrounded in an environment of folks who act similarly and aren't aware of the outside perspective.

I share this post because it does frustrate me on a level, and I can only imagine its 10x worse from the perspective of some people. For example, I have a great job, but I can imagine there are blue collar workers out there making meager wages and never take vacations. When they see this stuff on Facebook or Instagram or whatever, I can only imagine how mad they get.

And that anger drives folks away from the church.

So pastors, I urge you as a brother in Christ to be careful. If you take a retreat to a beach, you might not want to post that to Instagram. If the church blesses you with a MacBook to work from, you might want to refrain from tweeting about that. I know you don't want to drive the flock away, so please, I urge you to keep these simple ideas in mind any time you post to social media.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack