Skip to main content

LYEATT Book Reviews


If you follow me over at my other blog, Engedi Artistry, you'll notice that I have started reviewing music albums. I've found the whole reviewing process to be really fun, and since I do a lot of reading, I wanted to bring that idea on over to LYEATT with books.

My book reviews will be a little bit different than my album reviews. At the end of my album reviews, I have a star rating (out of a potential 5), pros, cons, and suggested tracks to check out. I don't really think that is all that appropriate for books, so I'm going to take a different approach to reviewing books instead. And as you saw at the top of the post, I have created some new graphics to accompany them!

I'm going to have three essential categories that books will fall into: Summit It, Queue It, and Skip It. I'm sure you can probably figure out what that last category means. If you're wondering what the others mean, I'm glad to explain below!

Before we get into that, though, I will throw out that my book reviews will ONLY take place after I finish a book. I'm not going write the review midway through a reading unless I deem a book is so awful that it is not worth finishing, at which point that book will undoubtedly receive a "Skip It" classification. I definitely think those will be few and far between, though, as I tend to not read books that don't interest me at all. (I'm not a professional book reviewer, so I'm allowing myself a little bias in choice!)

Let's get into explaining the ratings.

Summit It


This is the highest badge of honor you can get from me. The idea here is that if I give a book a "Summit It" rating, I think you should put this book at the top of your "next to read" list. My choice for the word "summit" is that I wanted a single word to convey this idea of putting something at the top. You can read my corresponding post on Engedi Artistry where I design the graphics for each ratings, and my wife clearly didn't like the word choice. Hey, I really, really tried to find a different word, but for me, "summit" was the one that stuck!

Queue It


I know they don't use this word anymore, but for those who can remember, Netflix used to refer to the "My List" section as the queue. This where you'd place stuff you were interested in watching at some point. In much the same way, this is the rating I'll give books that I'd encourage reading somewhere down the line, maybe not right away. And if you don't end up reading it, no real loss. This is probably the rating I'll be giving books the most often.

Skip It


This one is pretty self explanatory. Again, because I choose the books I want to read, I really hope I don't have to give out this rating. Plus, it would crush me to basically say that something that somebody has worked on forever isn't worth checking out at all. Regardless, there are still some duds out there, so this rating has to exist.

And that's it. It's a pretty simple system. To ensure that it's not too simple, I've gone through in my head what I would rate each book I've read in the past year, and every book fit nicely into one of these categories. I hope that you appreciate the reviews coming in the future!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack