Skip to main content

Reader Challenge #1: Write a Thank You Letter

A few posts back, I examined the first key competency of a performer: gratitude. Since posting that, I have thought a lot about that idea in my own life and how we can manifest that in a tangible way.

Moreover, I have been thinking about ways to engage you, the readers, on a level that I haven't tried yet, so my thought was to start a set of challenges. I have a few in mind already, and since already talked about gratitude, this is a good start.

We are where we are today because somebody along the way helped us out. It could have been on a smaller level, like introducing you to another person or idea, or it could have been on a much larger level, like somebody mentoring you over the years. If there's one thing I've learned from my wife, it's that gratitude goes a long way, and she is super meticulous about ensuring somebody gets a thank you note any time they do or give us something nice.

Along those lines, I'm going to challenge you to take some time and write a thank you letter to somebody. And when I mean write it, I mean WRITE it. Get a pen, get some paper, write it down, stick it in an envelope, and mail it to them.

Why go to this length? Why not just send somebody a text or email? Because nobody writes anymore. It's so easy to send a text or email that receiving them is pretty much second nature to most people. The act of taking time to write down something is unheard of these days. Aside from you birthday or holidays, how many times do you get handwritten mail from people? If you're like me, probably never.

I wrote my thank you letter to Eric Teoro who was one of my business professors at Lincoln Christian University. Like for many, college was a weird time for me in the fact that college is the time where you really build your own worldview and identity. Professor Teoro provided a lot of guidance for me through this time, and I think back to his wisdom almost daily. Without his guidance, I almost assuredly wouldn't be where I am today.

After you write your thank you letter, share down below who you wrote to and why. How did they change your life? Would you be here today without them? I want us all to here these stories so we, too, can strive to be like those who helped us stand on our feet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.