Skip to main content

Adulting 101: The Five Non-Obvious Tools Everybody Should Own


Whether it's assembling a new piece of IKEA furniture or replacing that flaky light switch, you're going to want to have some tools around the house. Now, you don't have to be like my dad and have every single tool Craftsmen has to offer, but you'll want to have a core few of them around.

We'll take some time in this post looking at a few recommendations. I'm going to skip a few obvious (but still essential) ones like hammers, screwdrivers, and tape measures and instead opt for a couple you might not regularly think about.

(And just to make it even easier on y'all, I'll include pictures of each tool and a link to buy them on Amazon!)

Let's get into it!


1. Voltage Detector


Safety is obviously an important thing for anybody, and if you're paranoid like me about getting electrocuted, this little guy is a must. This little thing detects voltage by sounding off a tone and lighting up if a wire is still hot. No fuss, no muss either: all you have to do is hold the tip of this tool close to the wire you're curious about. No need to hook up anything in a special way. This thing can literally be a lifesaver if you need to replace something like a light switch.


2. Allen Wrenches


Unfortunately, the world isn't as simple as having regular and Phillips-head screws for everything. You will inevitably run into screws with a hexagonal hole on the top. Allen wrenches are here to save the day. In many pieces of furniture (like IKEA furniture), these guys are usually included, but every once in a while, they aren't. In those cases, it's a good idea to have them around. They also come in inch and metric flavors, so be sure to have both on hand!! The Amazon link below includes both



3. Wire Strippers


Changing lighting and light switches are a regular occurrence these days in almost any home, and you're almost always going to have to strip down a wire to hook it up properly. Granted, you can get by stripping a wire with something as simple as a box cutter knife, but it's so much easier just to use a set of wire strippers. Do yourself a favor and get a pair of these for yourselves.


4. Channellock Pliers


You're probably familiar with adjustable crescent wrenches. They're definitely handy little things to have around, but there's a problem with them: they're typically pretty little. Sometimes, you'll run into a giant lug that needs pried off with something bigger. Something a little more hefty. Channellock pliers are definitely the answer here. For an example on how you might use them, I recently used mine to pry off some lugs to replace each of the toilet seats in our house. Without these bad boys, I would have been up a creek!


5. Needle Nose Pliers



Last but certainly not least, we've got the needle nose pliers. There are some things that fingers just cannot do. One of the best use cases for needle nose pliers is coiling a copper wire end around a screw in a new light switch. You can try all you like with your fingers, but I swear you'll be crying if you try to do that. (Trust me, I know from experience!) Needle noses are just super handy for about anything requiring finesse, so they make a super easy recommendation to anybody.


And that's it for this post! Hope you enjoyed the first official "Adulting 101" entry. With tips like these, you'll be a regular handyman (or handywoman!) amongst your family and friends. There will definitely be more of these to come in the future. Stick around and share with a friend!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.