Skip to main content

The New SEO: Social Engagement Optimization

After a long day at work, you probably unwind on the couch by picking up your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. Think about the sites (or apps) you engage with on a regular basis. Take a moment to list them out in your head.

For me, it's Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube, Instagram, Reddit, and tech blogs like TechnoBuffalo or MacRumors. (I don't have a Facebook account, but I'm sure many of you would add that to a list like this.)

Most of those sites have something in common: they're social platforms. They're ways for people to connect about a particular thing. In the case of LinkedIn, it's about work-related or business stuff. With Reddit (at least for me), it's something to do with video games or technology.

We make a big huff about search engine optimization, and don't get me wrong, it's still important. But we have to ask ourselves this fundamental question: why is it we use search engines like Google?

The answer to that is pretty easy: we're looking for something specific that we are not yet aware of ourselves. Again, this is still pretty important today. When you shop online for, I don't know, a new pair of eyeglasses, search engine optimization helps filter out the best results for you upon querying "eyeglasses".

But the reality is that aside from looking for unfamiliar things, we don't use search engines.

Chances are you have the Facebook app downloaded to your phone or have it saved as a bookmark on your laptop. It's not like you're Googling "Facebook" every time you want to check your Facebook. The same holds true for all the other social platforms.

That said, if I were to query you all on the time you spend on social platforms versus using search engines, my bet is that your usage of social platforms FAR outstrips your use of search engines.

Just a few posts back, I started to explore the algorithmic science behind viewership in social platforms. (If you missed it, here it is again.) What I found in my experiments is that, like search engine optimization, there is an unknown algorithm to how things are returned on social platforms. You might recall that on my experiment with LinkedIn, it appears that shares with pictures get more views.

So, let's put this all together.

If a company wants to get the most eyeballs on something and consumers are spending most time on social platforms, then why aren't we exploring how to optimize content to get returned the most per the social platform's algorithmic method?

Being super interested in this, I honestly couldn't find a term for this. In the search engine land, we call it SEO: search engine optimization. Being cutesy, I took that same acronym and turned it into what I call social engagement optimization.

The "social" and "optimization" word choices probably make sense to you, and the reason I chose "engagement" (aside from being an "E" word) is that MatPat referred to YouTube's algorithm change in 2012 to be focused on engagement in that video I shared a few posts back. (And if you missed it again, here it is... again!)

Now, of course, I'm not saying I'm a pioneer in this field. Clearly, MatPat beat me to it in the YouTube community, and I am sure that there are other people out there focused on this. But the fact that I could not find a unified term for this kind of thing via Google shows me that it has not yet gained traction.

I think this is a good place to stop for now. Again, this is a new field of study for me, too, so expect more posts coming in the future about this. For now, I hope I got you thinking. Regardless of what it will be called in the future, I think we're going to be hearing more and more of this idea in the same way that traditional SEO has come to be what it is today.

I'm going to try something a little different with today's post by summarizing everything discussed here in a few bullets. Let me know how you like this, and I'll consider doing it in the future.

SUMMARY
  • Search engines and SEO are still important, but consumers generally use social platforms much more often
  • SEO has been a big deal for companies wanting to grow their business online
  • Social platforms use special algorithms to return content in varying ways
  • Social platforms are a great way for companies to engage with consumers
  • Companies should consider the new SEO, social engagement optimization, of learning how to best refine their content so that it is engaged with by the greatest amount of consumers

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack