Skip to main content

Key Competency #3: Staying Chill

I regularly serve Wednesday nights at my wife's ministry and usually bring her dinner prior to the start of the event. Between getting off work, grabbing dinner, and making it to the church, I am always in a mega rush. (Not sure why, but traffic in Bloomington always seems heaviest on Wednesday afternoons!)

A few Wednesdays ago, I decided to get us Chipotle for dinner. I eat there pretty frequently, so I can recite my order in my sleep. I got stuck in line behind three college-aged kids who were taking their sweet, sweet time with their order. Getting irritated that they didn't let me go first, I quickly ordered my food and dashed over to the fountain machine to fill our drinks...

...only to accidentally spill Coke Zero all over my pants and floor.
The college kids were still there, and if I wasn't wearing my Eastview t-shirt, I had half a thought to let out a smart remark. I'm glad I didn't, though, because A) That's not very friendly, and B) They surprisingly and graciously helped me clean it up.

I tell this story mostly because it's funny in retrospect, but it helped reinforce this idea of staying chill in irritating situations. Of course, this example took place outside of work, but it just as easily could have taken place at work. This is probably an extremely obvious key competency, but I bring it up because it's surprising how often people get their feathers in a ruffle, both at work and outside of work.

Last week, my wife and I watched a movie called Asperger's Are Us following a group of guys with Asperger's who led their own comedy troupe. It was a pretty good movie. Anyway, I bring it up because one of the guys had a chart on his wall to help him with anger management, and I actually really liked it. The application definitely goes beyond folks with Asperger's, so I thought it would be good to share that here. In alliterative form, here are the "R's" of anger management.

(Side note: Upon googling "r's of anger management", apparently there are lots of different R's of anger management! They're all pretty similar, so I just picked the one I liked best.)

1. Recognizing. Just like it sounds, this is an awareness of the self where you understand that you are frustrated or irritated about a situation. Not wanting to overcomplicate this, let's go on to the next one.

2. Recollecting. Not sure I like the choice of word here, but I like the idea behind it. It's this idea that one should recall that most things aren't solved well with an angry response. Usually, we're brash beings when we're angry and don't make the best decisions then. We'll talk more about this down below.

3. Refraining / restraining via reframing. The idea here is that you hold yourself back from responding in a way you might regret later by trying to look at the situation from the other person's perspective. At the very least, you'll develop some level of empathy for the other person's perspective, and empathy leads to less anger.

4. Relinquishing. This one goes hand-in-hand with the last few "R" words. The concept here is that one "relinquishes" the desire to be angry in the understanding that anger doesn't get you anywhere. Again, that's pretty similar concept to the previously covered pieces. Moving on.

5. Reconditioning. I actually like this one a lot. This one is more of a meta concept where a person looks at all the situations where he / she got angry and looks for patterns in those situations. In other words, is there a unifying trigger that always gets you hot? If so, you can better recondition yourself to stay calm during future instances of that particular trigger.

6. Responding appropriately. And, of course, after all the other "R" words, we respond in a way that is clear and level-headed, free of the brashness that comes with hot emotions.

That's it for this post. I hope you found this to be helpful. If there's one additional thing I encourage, it's observing your own behavior. These "R" words are useless if you refuse to recognize that there is a problem. I guess that aligns well with the whole point of this blog: Leave Your Ego at the Threshold. Do it for your own sake and for your own benefit.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack