Skip to main content

Applying "The Dip" to My Life

So like I mention in my review of the book, there's definitely a reason I chose to pick up The Dip again now. It's an interesting time in my life. An exciting time, mostly, but unfortunately I have to concede to my own limitations.

Like I said, it's been a very exciting time in my life. We've got a baby on the way and will start a new job in two weeks (more on this in an upcoming Thanksgiving post). These are very big life changes, and I honestly don't know how it's going to affect day-to-day things.

That said, I'm trying to gauge my expectations of my time over the next few months. I definitely think I'll be able to maintain blogging since it's super flexible. (I do 90% of my blogging on my iPhone.) But not all is roses.

A few months back, I started teaching myself graphic design via Adobe Illustrator in hopes that I could make a side business out of it. The reality is that I can't sustain that for several reasons. I still have a passion for creating logos and such, but trying to do that vocationally just isn't possible unfortunately.

The Dip helped me to come to that consensus in a sense. I'm in the middle of a "dip" with my graphic design, and I was also in the middle of a "dip" with blogging. With blogging, I leaned in hard with that dip and have come out on the other side in the positive.

With my graphic design business, I'm struggling, quite frankly. Well, to be more precise, it never took off at all. There are several reasons that contribute to this, and perhaps the biggest reason is that it just takes a ton of time. And it's not "flexible". Where I can do most of my blogging on my phone, I have to use my MacBook to design. Unfortunately, I just don't have readily available access to my Mac.

All is not lost, however. I may be done with graphic design as a business, but I'm not done with it on a personal level. I still really enjoy designing stuff, and that's probably evident on these blogs.

And to that end, conceding one thing allows me to focus on new things. I'm going to push harder on my blogs, especially Engedi Artistry which doesn't get as much love as LYEATT! I'm currently revamping my personal website and will be relaunching that soon, too. And I'll be hopefully serving the church in a new way soon as well.

Like I said, exciting times! I may be closing one door, but I am excited for new doors that are opening.

Until then, let's raise a glass in honor of the Hundley Design Company. RIP, HDC! It's been real.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.