Skip to main content

Review: #GIRLBOSS by Sophia Amoruso


They say you can't judge a book by its cover, but let's be honest: in many cases, we do anyway. So about the cover of #GIRLBOSS... let's see... we have a young woman, Sophia Amoruso, wearing a business suit. Hands on her hips and confident look on her face, she looks like she's ready to take on the world.

So what's this book about? Is it a memento tearing down the misogynistic foundations of the good ol' boys, or is it something different? Something that doesn't quite align to the powerful image displayed on the cover?

Let's get into it!

I'm a bit of a conundrum: I like reading and learning a lot, but I'm a notoriously awful reader. It takes me forever to get through books, so the idea of library books makes me super nervous because I can almost never get through one book in a two week time period.

As an OverDrive / Kindle user, I placed #GIRLBOSS on hold some time in mid-May and got placed behind something like 14 other people. Honestly, when I finally got the notification that it was available for me to read, I had totally forgotten that I had reserved it.

That all said, I loved this book and finished it well within my two week checkout time. Amoruso writes in a way that is easily accessible and enjoyable. She tells a lot of stories from her own life, and she's led quite the interesting life.

Let's not beat around the bush and answer the question you're probably curious about: is this a book specifically written for women? No. Well, mostly no. Amoruso does make direct quotations to readers as if they are women readers, but those are few and far between. And this book does empower women in business but not at all in a "down with men!" kind of way.

Clearly, I enjoyed the book, so I obviously found value as a man!

If there's one word I can use to describe Amoruso's whole tone throughout the book, it's authenticity. She tells it how it is and isn't afraid to share how her own views have progressed over time. Namely, she describes her earlier life as a young woman against capitalism, but now she sees the merits and benefits of it.

What she also does well is that there are constant bits of practical advice that I'm not even sure she purposefully pens in here as advice bits. For example, she talks about how the small thumbnail pictures on eBay were super important to keep in mind in the early days of Nasty Gal. It's that kind of stuff that is still relevant today, and this book is littered with gold like this.

Working in the fashion industry, Amoruso does not shy away from encouraging women to dress up for their own sake. Whereas a traditional feminist mentality may hold that a woman should not have to dress up for men, Amoruso specifically notes that dressing up can instill a sense of confidence with that woman, and I can relate to that, too, as a man. Confidence is a core competency of a leader, so I'm glad to see Amoruso's perspective here by holding this line in a way that encourages women instead of demeaning them. (Side note: we'll analyze confidence as a key competency in a future post!)

This is a really well structured book. While Amoruso tends to jump around in her timeline, it is never frustrating and makes sense in its own right. She delivers great content on both and practical and entertainment perspectives. This is an excellent book for men and women alike, especially for young professionals living in this new world of technology and change. Amoruso's authenticity and story telling make this a very easy book to recommend to anybody.



SUMMARY

Sophia Amoruso shares the captivating story of Nasty Gal and her own personal growth in a way that empowers women and men alike. Her authentic style is one that anybody can relate with, and bits of business advice dispersed throughout the book are extremely valuable.

(To understand how I review books on LYEATT, check out the post behind this link.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack