Skip to main content

The Problem with Hierarchical Hiring

I browse LinkedIn pretty often, and the category of things that appears most on that main feed are inspirational quotes by inspirational leaders. Folks like Richard Branson and Simon Sinek appear most often. More specifically, the quotes have a central theme to them: companies need to hire good people. For example, one of the latest quotes I've seen on my feed include this one from Tina Fey:

"In most cases being a good boss means hiring talented people and getting out of their way."

That's a great sentiment, but is that really reinforced in reality?

Jonathan Rosenberg in his book How Google Works argues that the answer to that is no. Moreover, he argues that the problem resides largely within hierarchical hiring.

Just like the name suggests, hierarchical hiring is basically the way most people are hired in most organizations today: a manager (or group of managers) interview a pool of candidates and select from the "best" of that pool. There are two inherent problems with this though.

First, managers don't typically do the same scope of work that a hired employee does, and this holds true for pretty much every industry. Managers in an IT company aren't typically software developers themselves, and managers at McDonald's spend time on adminstrative activities over flipping patties. So why is it that one person is selecting a candidate for a role in which they are probably unfamiliar with themselves? It's akin to somebody like me recommending a fishing boat to a fisher: I don't fish, and the last time I was in a fishing boat was well over a decade ago. (The good ol' days!)

Second, and probably more importantly, human nature draws us toward protecting ourselves in what we perceive as a threat. In other words, we like to be the best in any situation, and hiring is not an exception. Rosenberg notes that this is doubly so when hiring "below" you because if a new hire ends up being "too good", then there is the perception that maybe that person should be a manager instead of the original manager.

Fortunately, there are remedies to this, and the one Google chooses to use is peer-based hiring. This solves the first problem quite simply in the fact that peers do the same work as the anticipated hire.

I honestly don't know if it solves the second question. Rosenberg sort of hints that it does in the book, but I'm still a bit skeptical. I think I do agree that it would alleviate the second problem to an extent, so I suppose something is better than nothing, especially if it solves the first problem.

Like anything, I won't proclaim to have the "silver bullet" answer for anything. The whole process is a bit odd to me. I get that it would eat a good chunk of a person's time to seek new hires themselves, but the usage of dedicated recruiters seems odd to me. There's only so much they can do.


Anyway, I hope this will alleviate at least one part of the hiring process. I will definitely share more as I continue to learn more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Balancing a Roadmap with Spontaneity

Think about the last family vacation you planned. It's exciting to think about what your family and friends might do and the places you'll travel. But there's quite a few factors that play a role in planning a vacation. Things like... Where are we going? Who all is going? How many days will we be gone? How much are we willing to spend? What form of travel will we be taking? And so on. You get the picture. This isn't a bad thing to do at all. Rarely will you find people that step out the door on a vacation with zero plan in mind. But how many people follow their very precise plans once the vacation takes place? Oftentimes, things change at the very last minute. Folks on a road trip might pass a billboard for something cool they had no idea existed. Many people will change those plans last minute and be happy they did so. Others will stick to their original plan and likely end up regretting doing so, always wondering what it would have been like to venture of...

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack