Skip to main content

Top 5 Tips on Building Trust Amongst Your Peers

Having written two other posts on trust this week, I thought it only appropriate to focus this week's top 5 on tips to build trust amongst your peers. While I am no expert in this area, I have found the five tips shared below to have helped me build camaraderie amongst my teammates over the years. I hope they can help you, too!


1. Be mindful of the the symbols you surround yourself with. Okay, this one is kind of a cop out since I already wrote a whole post about this earlier in the week. It's still an important thing to keep in mind, though. If trust means a consistency of character, then that means the environment you choose to surround yourself with should be in alignment with your behavior.

2. Watch how you portray yourself in social media. The internet is a place where things never die, so things you post today may very well come back to haunt you literally decades from now. For better or worse, that means we need to build a consistent character for years and years, and that means being very mindful of how we use social media.

3. Take a light interest in what is important to your peers. I'm not saying go all out and get super invested, but do take some interest to show you care about them. In my regular job, I work with a lot of Indian people who are more than willing to welcome somebody like me to partake in eating some Indian food with them. I never say no to these opportunities because I understand their appreciation and interest in this. It's the little things like this that go a long way in building a trusting relationship.

4. Let your own personality shine through. Relationships are a two-way street. As important as tip #3 is, people don't trust what they do not know. If all you do is take interest in others but show know personality of your own, people may have suspicions about who you are. Again, don't go all out and plaster posters of your favorite movie all over a conference room. Strike a balance between being professional and being a personable human being.

5. Don't bury your weaknesses. I wouldn't flaunt them either, but isn't that what this blog is all about? There is no way we know everything. We all recognize that, so when somebody attempts to come in as a know-it-all, we naturally develop suspicions since nobody can know everything. Instead, when those times come when you have to do something you are not strong out, reach out with a humble mind to somebody who is more experienced to find out how to get it done. People will appreciate the honesty and authenticity with which you display your skills.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pay Attention to Subtle Physical Reactions

Ever clench your fists in anger? Chuckle out loud when reading a joke? Sigh when thinking about something disappointing? Often, we don't do these things intentionally. These are subconscious reactions to things around us. Think about it. It would be absurd to think to yourself, "I thought that was funny, so I am purposefully going to laugh out loud." After all, we don't laugh out loud at 100% of the things we think are funny. (You all who use the LOL acronym in your text messages know this well!)

Review: "The Dip" by Seth Godin

If you think you've seen this book before, you're probably not mistaken. It's not a new book at all. It came out in 2007, and the first time I read this book was actually back in 2011. For personal reasons, I chose to pick it back up, and I'll talk about that in a separate post. Having been five years since my last read, I'm glad I dug this back up. It's a pretty teeny book, as you can see in the image below. A person can definitely breeze through the entire book in an hour or two. Anyway, this is a book review! How does this book hold up in the nine years since it's initial release? Let's get into it.

Parkinson's Law's Relevance to Business

A few posts back, I noted that we should focus on big things because we become preoccupied with the details of the goals we set for ourselves. So if you set the goal to lose 20 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality when if you set a goal to lost 100 pounds over 6 months, you'll adopt strategies to make that goal a reality. The time doesn't change, nor does the mentality. I'm currently reading through Mark Manson's The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck  and learned about a concept called Parkinson's Law. Parkinson's Law states the following: Work expands so as to fill the time available for its completion.

Adulting 101: What's in My Work Backpack

Hey there folks. You know that I manage another blog, Engedi Artistry, and when I conceived this post, I couldn't decide whether or not I wanted it here or on that blog. I ended up putting it over there, but I still think it's a great post for the Adulting 101 series. Instead of duplicating the post over here, I'm doing something kind of lazy and just linking this post to that one. I know, I know, this is uncharacteristic of me, but I need a break! Hope you all have a great weekend. LINK: What's in My Work Backpack

Public Perception vs. Advertiser's Perception (Feat. Nintendo Switch)

Last week, Nintendo unveiled to the world its next generation of home console: the Nintendo Switch. They did so in a roughly three minute video not specifically talking about the features but rather showcasing what gamers will be able to do in real life situations. If you haven't seen it yet, you can watch the video below: Amidst lots of other chatter about the unveiling, Nintendo was widely praised amongst many outlets for purposefully not using children in their initial unveiling. This is because, as you may be aware, Nintendo has been largely viewed as the video game console maker for kids recently, especially when compared to the likes of PlayStation and Xbox. As a big Nintendo fan myself, I, too, had the same reaction when watching that video. I thought, "Finally, Nintendo is looking to break the mold they set with the last console generations." Here is where things get interesting.